Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
P Mauriat PMST 87 Review
By Roger Manins

Metal- Yellow Brass. Nickel-plated. Professional class.

BACKGROUND

I recently had the pleasure of visiting Alex Hsieh and all the staff at P Mauriat in Taiwan. I stayed there for 5 days and got to see in person how the hand made Taiwanese saxophones are produced, and check out all the horns!! It was a great time-and what a buzz! -Going to the factories, seeing the bells hand beaten-everything hand soldered, the hand engraving, and experiencing the wonderful hospitality of the kind folks at P Mauriat (Believe me they know how to lay it on-but I tell you what, I worked hard for them too!).
Of course the hardest part was testing all those gorgeous saxophones…. Now right here I will warn you-I tested them all and made a whole lot of comparison videos, go to this link below if you are interested…. There are 3 Tenor videos on my you tube site (username rogermanins) entitled "hell comparison video 1,2,and 3"-but you can get there on the link below too--

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ent-models-played-alongside-Selmers-kings-etc
(There are also plenty of alto comparisons too…)

Now for the review!

P MAURIAT PMST 87 TENOR
I have been threatening to do the 87 review for some time-and you know why??
It's damn good!! ( and there is very little information on this horn)
In fact, while I was in Taiwan, with all the Mauriats at my disposal, the horn I just kept going back to was the good old 87 Tenor… In fact I liked it so much, I used this horn for my gig at the local Jazz club, and at a trade fair, and just about wherever I could.
It all started in the 76 factory. I had just finished looking around, and was presented with the 87 Tenor for a try. Honestly-I was pretty happy playing the 76's and really did not expect anything new from this horn, but when I put the tenor together for the first time and had a blow-well I was the one who was blown away!
Here's what I experienced
1- Good strong resistance
2- Lovely warm rich tone with some edge to it
3- Focused sound- similar to the 76UL, but different (check the videos)
4- Great action (modeled on Selmer SBA I believe)-Very easy to play
5- It is relatively light (Made with Yellow brass it is much lighter than the Bronze high copper 86), and therefore really comfortable to play
6- Stunning looks (and I mean-this horn is a real looker- Similar to the vintage silver Conn horns with gold bells!)
7- UNIQUE sound-Now if you are interested, check out the hell comparison videos mentioned above, and this new comparison video below link below I have just uploaded

Now Of course I would appreciate your comments- and you can decide for yourself, but the horn was definitely different than the 76uL, 86 and 66 Tenors-and I would say has its own unique quality not shared by the others.. (I know you could argue they are all unique in their own way!)

In the above video, I compare it with my Yamaha YTS61 Tenor, and my Trusty Selmer Mark 6. (It's a damn good mark 6 too; #109000 series with a #86000 series neck- I have owned this for 23 years), The Yamaha is an excellent example of these excellent horns from the 70's- I highly rate the 61 series Yamahas.

Ok so you will notice that they all sound great. I had my wife listening in too and this is what we thought….
Mark 6-Selmer warmth and roundness (and you know what they cost…) Fantastic horn-Beautiful warmth. Velvet sound.
87-Warm big tone, more 'edge' and presence to it, but at the same time very beautiful-Lovely presence and evenness-a real joy to play, fatter sound with character.
Yam 61- Excellent horn in every respect, but neither the fatness of the Mauriat, nor the warmth of the Selmer-but real great scale and feel and real good sound too. It sort of felt somewhere in the middle of the 2 horns. It had a brighter sound- sort of like the Mauriat, but not the 'bigness' .

Action- They all have great action/ feel and intonation- Whatever you choose, you will get used to, however the 87 does have a really ' easy' feel about the key work, and is user friendly

RESISTANCE

Here is a summary of what I feel the Mauriat range are like in regard to resistance
I give my personal resistance scale:
1= Lesser Resistance, Freer blowing
5= highest resistance

PMST66- Huge, Massive spread sound-Bark and bite; great horn and feel: Resistance-2.5
SYSTEM76-Warmth, big sound (in the lineage of the Mark 6)- Focus- Resistance 3
PMST86UL- Dark, Rich, Big, Heavy horn- Big Phatt sound - Resistance - 3
PMST87- Warmth, Focus, slightly brighter sound, but a real nice edge and rich color, versatile - Resistance -3.2

CONCLUSION

The 87 is a great horn with a gorgeous tone and will be very versatile across styles- from Jazz to Pop. I am happy playing it in a Traditional jazz situation (It has a great sound!) but smooth Jazzers would dig it too as it is a little brighter than the 76/66/86. It is an incredibly beautiful looking horn and I highly recommend for anyone, at any playing level, and to those who want something a little different!

NOTE-My main Mauriat is the 86UL tenor- as I play mainly traditional Jazz, but the 87 is a very different beast and compliments this horn very well.

….

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
Hi Roger,

I have always enjoyed your videos and reviews and think they are of great interest to me. In this video I felt that a better microphone would really help to hear the subtle difference in the sound between the horns. A entry level home studio condenser microphone for around 100USD would be a big step-up in quality. It will capture the frequency spectrum of the saxophone much better. Your reviews and comparisons is great info and I hope you get paid by P.Mauriat for presenting their horns and you are a great player. Now its sort of like watching a full hd movie on a old black and white tv...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know -- I need better quality, but I just don't have the time or energy to set up a studio// interface // what have you. What I get from the laptop mic is good enough for me ( I do these for me as much as anyone! )
However-- I hope to get a little mixer / mic at some time-- hey even a studio!!

Best
Roger

1 - 3 of 3 Posts