Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
P Mauriat PMST 87 Review
By Roger Manins

Metal- Yellow Brass. Nickel-plated. Professional class.

BACKGROUND

I recently had the pleasure of visiting Alex Hsieh and all the staff at P Mauriat in Taiwan. I stayed there for 5 days and got to see in person how the hand made Taiwanese saxophones are produced, and check out all the horns!! It was a great time—and what a buzz! —Going to the factories, seeing the bells hand beaten—everything hand soldered, the hand engraving, and experiencing the wonderful hospitality of the kind folks at P Mauriat (Believe me they know how to lay it on—but I tell you what, I worked hard for them too!).
Of course the hardest part was testing all those gorgeous saxophones…. Now right here I will warn you—I tested them all and made a whole lot of comparison videos, go to this link below if you are interested…. There are 3 Tenor videos on my you tube site (username rogermanins) entitled “hell comparison video 1,2,and 3”—but you can get there on the link below too--

http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...ent-models-played-alongside-Selmers-kings-etc
(There are also plenty of alto comparisons too…)

Now for the review!

P MAURIAT PMST 87 TENOR
I have been threatening to do the 87 review for some time—and you know why??
It’s damn good!! ( and there is very little information on this horn)
In fact, while I was in Taiwan, with all the Mauriats at my disposal, the horn I just kept going back to was the good old 87 Tenor… In fact I liked it so much, I used this horn for my gig at the local Jazz club, and at a trade fair, and just about wherever I could.
It all started in the 76 factory. I had just finished looking around, and was presented with the 87 Tenor for a try. Honestly—I was pretty happy playing the 76’s and really did not expect anything new from this horn, but when I put the tenor together for the first time and had a blow—well I was the one who was blown away!
Here’s what I experienced
1- Good strong resistance
2- Lovely warm rich tone with some edge to it
3- Focused sound- similar to the 76UL, but different (check the videos)
4- Great action (modeled on Selmer SBA I believe)—Very easy to play
5- It is relatively light (Made with Yellow brass it is much lighter than the Bronze high copper 86), and therefore really comfortable to play
6- Stunning looks (and I mean—this horn is a real looker- Similar to the vintage silver Conn horns with gold bells!)
7- UNIQUE sound—Now if you are interested, check out the hell comparison videos mentioned above, and this new comparison video below link below I have just uploaded
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgw5-OGrWy8

Now Of course I would appreciate your comments- and you can decide for yourself, but the horn was definitely different than the 76uL, 86 and 66 Tenors—and I would say has its own unique quality not shared by the others.. (I know you could argue they are all unique in their own way!)

In the above video, I compare it with my Yamaha YTS61 Tenor, and my Trusty Selmer Mark 6. (It’s a damn good mark 6 too; #109000 series with a #86000 series neck- I have owned this for 23 years), The Yamaha is an excellent example of these excellent horns from the 70’s- I highly rate the 61 series Yamahas.

Ok so you will notice that they all sound great. I had my wife listening in too and this is what we thought….
Mark 6—Selmer warmth and roundness (and you know what they cost…) Fantastic horn—Beautiful warmth. Velvet sound.
87—Warm big tone, more ‘edge’ and presence to it, but at the same time very beautiful—Lovely presence and evenness—a real joy to play, fatter sound with character.
Yam 61- Excellent horn in every respect, but neither the fatness of the Mauriat, nor the warmth of the Selmer—but real great scale and feel and real good sound too. It sort of felt somewhere in the middle of the 2 horns. It had a brighter sound- sort of like the Mauriat, but not the ‘bigness’ .

Action- They all have great action/ feel and intonation- Whatever you choose, you will get used to, however the 87 does have a really ‘ easy’ feel about the key work, and is user friendly

RESISTANCE

Here is a summary of what I feel the Mauriat range are like in regard to resistance
I give my personal resistance scale:
1= Lesser Resistance, Freer blowing
5= highest resistance

PMST66- Huge, Massive spread sound—Bark and bite; great horn and feel: Resistance-2.5
SYSTEM76—Warmth, big sound (in the lineage of the Mark 6)- Focus- Resistance 3
PMST86UL- Dark, Rich, Big, Heavy horn— Big Phatt sound - Resistance - 3
PMST87- Warmth, Focus, slightly brighter sound, but a real nice edge and rich color, versatile - Resistance -3.2

CONCLUSION

The 87 is a great horn with a gorgeous tone and will be very versatile across styles- from Jazz to Pop. I am happy playing it in a Traditional jazz situation (It has a great sound!) but smooth Jazzers would dig it too as it is a little brighter than the 76/66/86. It is an incredibly beautiful looking horn and I highly recommend for anyone, at any playing level, and to those who want something a little different!

NOTE—My main Mauriat is the 86UL tenor- as I play mainly traditional Jazz, but the 87 is a very different beast and compliments this horn very well.

….

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Hi Roger,

I have always enjoyed your videos and reviews and think they are of great interest to me. In this video I felt that a better microphone would really help to hear the subtle difference in the sound between the horns. A entry level home studio condenser microphone for around 100USD would be a big step-up in quality. It will capture the frequency spectrum of the saxophone much better. Your reviews and comparisons is great info and I hope you get paid by P.Mauriat for presenting their horns and you are a great player. Now its sort of like watching a full hd movie on a old black and white tv...

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know -- I need better quality, but I just don't have the time or energy to set up a studio// interface // what have you. What I get from the laptop mic is good enough for me ( I do these for me as much as anyone! )
However-- I hope to get a little mixer / mic at some time-- hey even a studio!!

Best
Roger

1 - 3 of 3 Posts