Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm leaning towards the PM.
It's sound is so much richer. When playing the Jupiter right after/before the PM it feels so thin.
There is a punchier sound too.

Also, personally I don't believe the factory stuff that people say about PM's. Of course they are made in Taiwan, but I don't believe there are exact replica's with different names printed on. Normally when that happens there isn't ANY advertising. And I don't see the le bravo being replicated by anyone either?

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Ok I'll bite.

1) You haven't asked a particular question that could be directly answered. Let's assume you are looking for opinions on which is the better instrument to buy. The odds that anyone here has played both of these particular models is probably not great due to the newness of the Mauriat (I have not)

2) Even if someone here HAS managed to play at least one horn of each, there's no certainty that this individual's observations would generalize to other horns of the same two makes, since individual horns of a specific model can vary a lot in tone.

3) Having a fan of one of the two brands simply chime in suggesting to buy his/her favorite brand of the two (or even suggesting yet another brand), often happens in this forum in reply to similar X vs Y original posts, but IMHO this is seldom helpful

and most importantly:

4) You have played both saxes YOURSELF, and one obviously sounds better than the other. Your own ears are the best guide.

I would not be discouraged about the lack of replies (so far). There are plenty of helpful members of this forum. But really, NO data is better than erroneous or speculative data.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok I'll bite.

1) You haven't asked a particular question that could be directly answered. Let's assume you are looking for opinions on which is the better instrument to buy. The odds that anyone here has played both of these particular models is probably not great due to the newness of the Mauriat (I have not)

2) Even if someone here HAS managed to play at least one horn of each, there's no certainty that this individual's observations would generalize to other horns of the same two makes, since individual horns of a specific model can vary a lot in tone.

3) Having a fan of one of the two brands simply chime in suggesting to buy his/her favorite brand of the two (or even suggesting yet another brand), often happens in this forum in reply to similar X vs Y original posts, but IMHO this is seldom helpful

and most importantly:

4) You have played both saxes YOURSELF, and one obviously sounds better than the other. Your own ears are the best guide.

I would not be discouraged about the lack of replies (so far). There are plenty of helpful members of this forum. But really, NO data is better than erroneous or speculative data.
Lots of this info would be true, but why would there be a whole section dedicated to sax. vs. sax. if noone was willing to put forward their respective advice. I enjoyed the P.Mauriat better, I was just wondering other peoples thoughts before I fork out $2,300 AUD on something.

I was wondering peoples experience playing either not just both by the same person.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Jupiter's 700 series is a beginner series, the Mauriat is a pro horn. What you hear is quite probably the difference between two such ranges of quality and sound.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
The P.Mauriat Le Bravo plays totally different from the Jupiter 7xx series. The Jupiter plays more like a selmer SA 80 II and the Le Bravo reminds me more of a late MKVI. The jupiter has a big spread sound and the mauriat are focused and has a richer tone with more expression I think. Honestly I would recommend both horns for my students,its a matter of personal taste of what you want to sound like. The more experienced player should enjoy the Maouriat mor due to the tonal capabilities and flexibility i think.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I have to agree with Dagvei,
They are two different classes of horns; The LeBravo 200 is a professional model and the Jupiter is a student one.
The Le Bravo is a pretty sweet horn that will take you through your student years and well into your professional ones.
I have played on many Le Bravos and find them consistently good. Good action, nice fat sound, good intonation through all the registers and great sounding overall.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,730 Posts
If it's worth anything, I A/B'd a Le Bravo vs a Swing 55 Mauriat for about an hour trying to decide which one to buy. I went with the Swing, but it wasn't an easy decision. IMO the Le Bravo is a professional-grade horn, in the end I just preferred the "bigger", darker spread sound of the Swing (it's like a not quite as loud, a little more focused version of a 66R) as opposed to the brighter more compact sound of the Le Bravo. And the Le Bravo hadn't even been tweaked by a tech, it was fresh out of the box... it would've been even better after a good setup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts