Sax on the Web Forum banner
21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
668 Posts
Yeah, unless something changes, the resale value of a Mauriat is a little bit surprising for the moment. Especially when you consider all the advantages it shares with Cannonballs and Jupiters who also place their horns in stores where people can actually play test them. But then all three brands mentioned are showing a somewhat steep price drop off their new costs. Possibly the best values on the used markets though. Since they're easy to find, making them easier to evaluate. People are familiar with them and the general public perception is of good quality. Frankly I would never have heard of some of the other brands without the internet.

There is a price to pay going in, if you want new. And in this market, the differentials between new and used are exacerbated by people who need the money more than they might need their stuff. And sometimes they're pretty desperate. Remember too that the venerable MK VIs used to sell for nominal used prices until the mystique and unique desireability drove them beyond the price of players to collectors. I'm not saying that would ever happen to a Mauriat, but I am saying that during the seventies and eary eighties, a VI was a damn good used horn at a surprising price when you consider what they go for today.

A Mauriat is not a student grade horn. I played examples of them all. And more than a few by each company. As players Mauriats are a tonally and ergonomically as different from other brands as other brands are different from one another.

Harv

·
Registered
31 Posts
I do not agree and think that Mauriat Horn will become a collecter's item, I for one, knows that their horns are just buying from factory to factory. Even if Alex ( the head of comapny who also a marketing genius) goes bankrupt,( I am not surprise to hear that because he keep paying so much to James, the price went 5 times more than what he was paying last year) the factory which he buys the horns form will still be selling the horn, just with a different brand name. even they do claim they now owns a factory ( since end of last year, more expense here..) what is currently out there in the market is still from factory to factory, what is the collecter value in this, only the Name I think??

However, I do agree with you that P.M horn is not for student, you can get the same quallity for the system 54 who buys at the same factory with highlu similar spec but cost much much less.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The ownership of their own P.Mauriat factory is not a claim or a rumour, it is a fact. I have visited it several times to try out the new System 76ULs which are made exclusively at their factory. They are absolutely awesome instruments, great tone, power and very accurate intonation wise.And, the finish is gorgeous. The quality of the manufacture is very high and they are very well crafted. That will definitely be the next Mauriat I purchase and it will be worth every penny! These new 76Uls are going to go become a big part of the saxophone world.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Having played Alto sax for seven years, and wanting a tenor throughout that time, I bought the Mauriat PMXT-66R a few months ago. It is a fantastic instrument, wonderful to play and definately a good start on the tenor saxophone ladder!

·
Registered
12 Posts
PM's are great instruments to start off with because they are so easy and enjoyable to play. I agree with previous comments that they can be hard to sell later on but why not keep it as a spare instrument when you move onto something better or more vintage.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,735 Posts
Why not save the money and buy a quality vintage instrument for less? For $2500-3000, one can find some pretty sweet deals unless you have to have a Mk VI/SBA/BA.

·
Registered
8,397 Posts
Why not save the money and buy a quality vintage instrument for less? For $2500-3000, one can find some pretty sweet deals unless you have to have a Mk VI/SBA/BA.
For some reason, people seem to think that students need to start on a crappy horn. God forbid they get a vintage instrument or an adequate Japanese horn that might have a decent sound and be well made.

·
Registered
201 Posts
I absolutely love my sax! I don't know if P. Mauriat is a good starter brand though. I have been playing for 8 years now and I got my Mauriat about 1 year ago, and I'm still getting used to it. I have big hands and that is the primary reason why I liked the Mauriat so much. It has great ergonomics, to me. Some people call these horns "tanks" because of how sturdy they feel. I would agree with that. I don't think they are necessarily over-priced, but they're not Cannonball price either. I think they were the best bang for there buck horns over anything else. They had nice lacquer and great sound. I like it!

·
Registered
67 Posts
For the same reason, I think AS-500 would probably work out better for you. It's reliable and well built horn.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts