Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello I recently acquired a System 76 tenor and I was curious about the finish. I see other players with the same finish and it is lighter and more gold while mine is brown. Will mine after a few years have this same type of finish or will it just have this same brownish type finish? Thanks! I will provide pictures below.

My horn: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1V2IJ49ims9_56lATBWWKOJtU72TzmEEc/view?usp=drivesdk

Example 1: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1C-US22UtHa_87HQoFRF56a6QVkSHQDYp/view?usp=drivesdk

Example 2: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1v7_8srdg8N9ru8bRJAAHSycprXpY5alO/view?usp=drivesdk

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,817 Posts
No they are different finishes altogether.

Your horn will wear out in places and the patination ( which was chemically applied) will rub off and show in the places where your hands and clothes make contact with the horn, as a lighter hue of brass but your horn will never end up looking like the horns in the examples. Those are, I believe, unlacquered or some other finish but not like yours.

I have has a horn like yours when I worked at H.L. Sax , also a Taiwanese maker.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi! Mine is unlacquered tooso they should be the same finish. I contacted P. Mauriat and they said that with time it will age to be that color. I am not to sure if they are just saying that but they also said that those horns might have been like that when purchased. What do you think? Thanks!

·
38,817 Posts
the horn you are showing

View attachment 232788

Is treated with chemicals to give it this dark patination

While not “ lacquered” it is different from an unlacquered horn. As said it will not become like the other horns that you show ( which didn’t start their life with the dark patination ) its finish (patination) will rubb off in places ( you can already see it happening around the bell).

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah I see.. Thanks so much for the advice! Would you happen to know any solutions to achieve that type of finish in the examples? If not I might just exchange it for a different finish as I am not a fan of it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Re: Finish of my Sax

All of the links are broken. It says the file does not exist.

Also, I see you only have a few posts here so I'll let you know that posting multiple threads about the same topic in different sections is not allowed on the forum. It's called cross posting. And likely one of the moderators will merge the two threads together at some point.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
Ah I see.. Thanks so much for the advice! Would you happen to know any solutions to achieve that type of finish in the examples? If not I might just exchange it for a different finish as I am not a fan of it.
I think if you play that horn for another 10 or 15 years it will likely look very different than it does now.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
Re: Finish of my Sax

If the horn is not lacquered or plated, the finish will likely change, subject to the environment. How it will ultimately look is unknown.

·
38,817 Posts
the only practical way for you to get the unlacquered brass (without tha dark patination that you have) look is to buy another saxophone (why did you buy this in the first place if you don’t like it?) .

In theory you could have it buffed but it would cost an arm and a leg to dismount the entire ( including the keys, cups and rods) saxophone and buff the hell out of it. Ity will certainly cost more than selling this at a loss and buy a new one.

Wear and tear (even lon term one) will never rub off the dark patination everywhere. It will only in areas where the hands, body, clothes and case make contact with the horn, leving plenty of places which will stay dark.

·
Registered
219 Posts
The saxophone you have is not going to look like any of the others you posted it has a dark finish the others are almost raw brass. Be careful what you wish for if you like the sound of the saxophone you have I would keep it. You can be sure no two saxophones sound the same, so if you change it you may end up with a finish you really like but a sound you're not so happy with.

·
38,817 Posts
of course he could try the new saxophone first and then decide that he likes both sound and looks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,933 Posts
of course he could try the new saxophone first and then decide that he likes both sound and looks
... or use it as an excuse to buy a horn.

Collect the whole set of finishes!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I ordered it I didn't buy it directly from the store the picture showed something like what I thought. Anyways its fine I'm gonna go ahead and go the store to try out the others thanks for the advice!

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,567 Posts
Yes, Your sax has a chemically aged finish/ patina. Same as the Cannonball Brut and "vintage bare brass" finishes of many brands. It'll rub off on the commonly touched points and be shiny where it rubs your clothing. The other two pictures are also of bare brass saxes, but they did not have the chemically induced patina treatment and were likely polished to a shine when new.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts