Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok

A little background, I am not a pro,,just weekend warrior, had to sell my reference, and my yas82z alto this winter due to cash flow.

I came across a 76 1st edition NEW with one year warranty,for $1900,,,,right now I have no horn,,and that bothers me,,but given my financials, I cant justify a $4k for another reference

should I pull the trigger,, I can get either finish,,,,I play Jazz mostly

Thanks

·
Registered
3,715 Posts
I think he means a Selmer Reference alto at $4k. $1900 is an okay price for a new P. Mauriat Sys 76 and though I like Mauriats ( I own a Sys 76 tenor) I wouldn't pay this. Right now there are so many lightly used horns on the market that you can get some really great deals on nearly new instruments. If you are patient you should be able to get another 82z or many other pro level altos in near mint condition for right around $2k.

·
Registered
88 Posts
$1900 is a good deal for System 76 First edition, new ones seem to retail for quite a lot more than that! They are nice horns too!

·
Registered
149 Posts
You can do better, for less than 1900, there are a lot more and better choices than PM. Same Spec from same factory with different logo with save you at least few more hundred. Unless you are the one who believe in all that PM french connection fairytale. otherwise, try as much horn as posisble and don't try to ask here, because their work and endorsee will tell you everything to get you to buy their horn.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
I will propbably be told to move this over to the classified. But i bought the last Mauriat 76 the guy sold on EBAY for $1900. He is not kinding his saxes are pretty much full on brand new, and he does a great job packing them up in the orgional Mauriat box. My problem even though the thing sounds great, the fingering feels WAY different than my Beat Up Old King Super 20 so I'm thinking of selling it. I would take $1775 shipped lower USA. I only played it 15 minutes total and i emailed the guy an he said being it's in the exact shape i got it, the new owner can still send in/use the warranty card. It is a greating looking sax, sounding sax...i just can't play it! If you decide to buy the one on EBAY, the saxes that guy sells are basically brand new, perfect shape!

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
The keywork is fine in the System 76. Its just a matter of time and patience til your hands gets used to the new keywork. So if you like the sound of it, give it a chance! I almost cried in the shed when i switched from yamaha to selmer but it was worth it. Took me a couple of weeks. Go for the sound!

·
Banned
211 Posts
I will propbably be told to move this over to the classified. But i bought the last Mauriat 76 the guy sold on EBAY for $1900. He is not kinding his saxes are pretty much full on brand new, and he does a great job packing them up in the orgional Mauriat box. My problem even though the thing sounds great, the fingering feels WAY different than my Beat Up Old King Super 20 so I'm thinking of selling it. I would take $1775 shipped lower USA. I only played it 15 minutes total and i emailed the guy an he said being it's in the exact shape i got it, the new owner can still send in/use the warranty card. It is a greating looking sax, sounding sax...i just can't play it! If you decide to buy the one on EBAY, the saxes that guy sells are basically brand new, perfect shape!

I may be a little late to the thread here but I also purchased one of the System 76's 1st edition from the guy you are talking about on ebay. For my tastes the keywork all over the horn needed alot of adjustment to get it really comfortable, as did the springs. I did a complete tear-down and put on roo pads with maestro brass resonators. My frame of reference was a 55 mark VI tenor so I can't speak to the Super 20 as the last time I palyed one of those was about 20 years ago - great horn. The Mauriat is definately based on the Mark VI but with it's own character. After may hours of adjusting and bending keys, I am extremely happy with the final result, so much so that I cashed out on the Mark VI. The Mauriat has all the sound of my previous horn with a little better projection.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,905 Posts
You can do better, for less than 1900, there are a lot more and better choices than PM. Same Spec from same factory with different logo
I don't think this is true, what do you base that on? (These rumours are usually spread by importers of lesser quality but similar looking horns)

·
28,905 Posts

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Pete, i think that he mean that you should go and try out the PM clones in the shops. Cadeson 902 series is one horn very similar to pm66r for example. But not a 100% clone. Same tube, different palmkeys and alloy.

·
28,905 Posts
Pete, i think that he mean that you should go and try out the PM clones in the shops. Cadeson 902 series is one horn very similar to pm66r for example. But not a 100% clone. Same tube, different palmkeys and alloy.
That's the problem, I don't know of any P.Mauriat "clones" these days. I don't need to go to any shops as I visit the trade fairs where I try out many more saxophones than I possibly could in any large shop. Yes, I've tried Cadesons, they look very similar but so do many Taiwanese saxophones without actually being the same and made to the same high standards.

I wonder when people will stop assuming saxophones are clones just because they look the same.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts