Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I am currently looking for a new tenor and I need some inputs about my choice of horn...

My current horn is a P Mauriat Big band tenor, which is a student model. And I am planning to upgrade it a little bit.

The 66rx Influence model really caught my attention, a tenor with a flute keys just seems unique to me and it looks great!
But does any one here have this particular model as their main horn? if so can you share your experience with the horn?

And one more thing, is it true that P Mauriat's Dark Lacquer finish flakes off after it is being used for a while? I really like the look of the finish but I am quite doubtful about it...

Thanks!

·
Registered
3,771 Posts
I don't have a 66R tenor but I've played them on several occasions at Sax Alley. I don't know how much different the Influence really is and the metal key touches, at least for me, didn't make much difference and I soon stopped thinking about them when playing the horn.

Generally I like the Mauriats and owned two of them including a Sys 76 tenor with the dark lacquer. I didn't have any issues with it but every manufacture has issues from time-to-time so it wouldn't surprise me if there are a few folks out there who have had problems.

That being said, I wouldn't spend that kind of money on any new horn without playing it, and several other pro horns in comparison, first. No reason not to seriously consider the Influence but I'd play some Yamaha's and Yani's for sure that can be had at a similar cost and maybe some Selmers and vintage horns as well if you have access to them. There are a bunch of other Taiwanese horns out there sold under lots of brand names not as well known as Mauriat that are very good horns and often cost a great deal less as well.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
I've played the 66R model and thought it was pretty good. I suggest you try many tenors and pick the one you like best, regardless of brand (assuming it's not too crazy expensive). I have a Yamaha 62iii tenor that I really like, and you can get it brand new for as low as $2500 now. Yanagisawa tenors are also good, but are priced much higher. There's also Selmers, of course, but make sure you try before you buy, because they're generally more inconsistent than other brands, and some people, like me, don't exactly like them. Definitely not bashing Selmer; they're great horns, just not for some people. Any way, just try as many different kinds as you can and see what YOU prefer, not what anyone else says is best. Oh, forgot Cannonball, you can try them too. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts