Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 517 Posts

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Moin,
some of you will say, only saxvoodoo again but this is propably one of the cheapest tuning devices.

You only need a cord of leather.

You just wind it two, three or fourtimes very thight around the front of the neck. (check out the Photo if you don't know what I mean)

It will you make louder and the sounds becomes more round. I've the impression, that it also gives more soundmaterial.

I stated the better the instrument (the thicker the walls) and the higher the sax the weaker is the effect of the P-Ligging.
On my soprano I was not sure if I really could hear a difference but on my Bari it is great.

The Name P-Ligging referes to my friend Prinzipal. It was his idea.

(No garantee for maybe possilble litte damages on the finish, I had none so far)

I don't want any comments like: "total crap", "won't work" "only voodoo" "you, it or something suck" unless you have really tried it yourself.

Have fun with testing.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jolle: Ok, first and bitchy answer:
Why should it not? It works. If you don't believe it try it or be quiet

second and nice answer.
It damps vibrations. Therefore a rounder sound and you get a litte more blowing resitance. That's why it get's louder.

The neck is a very important piece on the sax for the sound. Material, weights and even the mechanic has a notable influence. That's why underslung works different.
Some people even stones have an effekt, I think it's just the shape on the weight of the stone and not the Stone itself.
There are also some guy (which produce very good necks) that believe that even the "S" on the arm of the selmer necks may have an influence, but that is a totaly different topic.

You are free not to try this, but why not. A cord of leather doesn't cost 50 dollar.
I'd knew there would be "useful" comments like this.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009 &
1,270 Posts
Jolle: Ok, first and bitchy answer:
Yes, it was that, Tobias (although I perhaps would have characterized it as a "d---head" reply---this one might rightfully be called "bitchy"), and quite uncalled for.

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok Sorry @ Jolle

@TorTen: Why do people glue leather, rubber or felt pieces on the pressure plates of their ligs, why does Yamaha use such a thik rubber like laquer on their black Instruments. Or why do so many people like the rovner ligs.

I got the tip, was also sceptic but I tried. I've showed it other colleagues which gave me first a very strange look, but they all stated the same as me (I didn't told them what to expect)

Furthermore, I don't think it is just damping, because it's so tight, the neck is foreced to vibrate a little different.

And actually I don't want to convince anybody, I just want to give the inspiration to test it yourself. Perhaps P.Ligging helps some of you. That's my point.
Perhaps some do other experiments with that and post their results here.

I didn't say it's a wonderweapon. I've allready said, that on my soprano, I'm not sure if I really herad something. It won't work for everybody and not everybody will like the difference.

But what I don't like is this general negative position. When I posted about the Schucht devices, I got plenty replies like "only Voodoo" and none of them ever have tried them.
If you don't believe it, test it first, than you can say it is bullsh**

Is there any reason, why I should tell you stories. Do you doupt what I heard? Why?

Oh, by the way, the placebo effect can also work the other way round. If you turly believe there will be no difference you won't hear any. (The same is when you test blindfolded)
Just be a bit more open to new stuff. As you know, the earth isn't flat anymore.

Now, back to topic...

·
Registered
522 Posts
Tobias, somehow I get the impression that even if someone tried it and found no effect, you'd come up with some kind of reason why that person is stupid, ignorant, or didn't do it properly. Your attitude is extremely arrogant.

If this actually works for you, then great, but honestly it has no physical reason to work. I'm not convinced dampening vibrations is a good thing- There are so many devices and techniques out there designed to maximize the vibrations of the instrument- from the FL lig to your embouchure.

As far as the S on selmer's octave system... give me a break.

edit: ha! I just noticed you've even got a Francois Louis lig on your alto.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
For what its worth, I don't think he's being arrogant. I get annoyed when the majority isn't open to innovation too. I don't think his story is something fiction, and he wrote it out simply to start a thread about nothing.

Also, I think anyone who gets away with using the word "pimp" in a thread title without having a moderator chop-block him deserves a chance.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,764 Posts
OK, I'll give it a try. Then I suspect I'll be posting on the other recent thread in this section (the one by datsaxguy--'most idiotic/stupid thing you've done...'). Call me a skeptic with a capital "S."

·
Banned
1,335 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
@Ciaran: Thanks, but Bossman is right so far that I've could be a litte more friendly, sometimes I'm too direct.

Is there something with the word "pimp", I thougt it became part of the fluent language or is it still "bad". When it's demanded I'll change that.
But I use this word with a certain aspekt of irony. Improvment odr development wouldn't fit.

@[email protected]: actually I didn't test every option. But it is quite logica that the higher it's position the bigger the effect.

Prizipal had put also on some other places:
look on the photo. (there he said, was the effect not as big as on the neck)
He also wraped the bell of a chinese curved soprano. It sounded like a clarinet.

But this is the point of this thread. This P-Ligging is quite new. I'm curious in your results. I wanna animate you to experiment with it and collect your oppinions and experiences

The origin of this idea comes (as far as I know) from the flutes. There it's an old story with tieing someting on the flute. So it's actually not that new.

@JL: I'm also more than skeptic with the "S" on the arm but I won't scratch an 'S" on my neck.

@Bossmann: Did you know, that FL has different pressureplates in his sortiment. One is with a rubber inlay. Do you know the winslow/saxxas? There they uses rubberpads.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I could imagine that guys who want a really dead sound might like it... like when a drummer puts gaffer tape on his cymbals... so maybe wrapping the neck and bell and any of the exposed parts in gaff might go well for the guys that want that "coming at you from the broom closet" sound... and then, it occurs to me that the head, throat and chest cavity also contribute to the resonance... so what if some of those guys, also wrapped themselves in gaffer tape from the waist up? Maximum dampening!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,092 Posts
Yeah, dude, the ligs you are talking about have the opposite effect from the P-Ligging one you describe. The rubber and/or felt between the lig and reed allow the reed to vibrate more freely. The P-Lig dampens vibrations in the metal of the horn, or at least it does in theory. It makes sense to me that the less the horn vibrates, the less energy it saps from the sound wave bouncing off its walls. I'm willing to believe it works. I've always had a dream of a stainless steel sax for the same reason... no idea if it would sound good, but I bet it would scream! I haven't the faintest idea where to find a leather strap, though.

1 - 20 of 517 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.