Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope everyone is having a happy new year :)
As a euro-Dutch jazz player I have noticed myself becoming increasingly interested in funk! Can anyone tell me who played the solo in George Clinton's "P-Funk" on the album mothership connection (parliament) just curious!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,241 Posts
From what I heard, that solo is by, believe it or not, Michael Brecker. There's a possibility it might have been Joe Farrell (or Maceo playing tenor, which I think is unlikely for this album), but everyone I know insists it's Brecker. It's not characteristic of him, but it's still awesome.

·
Registered
641 Posts
Without digging around to try to find out, & just taking a listen to the youtube link, I don't think that's Mike Brecker...sure, there was one altissimo lick that had some similarity, but that vibrato was not Mike's sound, & it wasn't representantive of his killer time (too "sloppy" or rushed), & honestly, it didn't sound "tenor-ish" enough to be him (too thin), even though at the time he had a much brighter tone. Maceo could've been in that horn section though...& I suppose that could've been him on tenor on an off day, as again, his super-tight time wasn't there, just a little too sloppy time-wise for him (again, a couple of Maceo licks in there), but the throat growling isn't typical of him either :) Now I'm wondering who it really was...I'd be shocked if it was Mike or Maceo...good post!

·
Registered
678 Posts
Sorry I can't answer your question directly, but for some great alto sax funk, check out Maceo Parker's albums "Funkoverload" and "School's In". :thumbrig:

·
Registered
641 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSXBNv_l4zE

A decade later, but Mike Brecker playing funk 2:52 (knd of a silly dated song now, but Mike kills it)...it was even sort of popular back in the day, & can you imagine hanging out socially & hearing this? The way he brings it (3:20) off the bottom of the horn? Ha!

+1 Funk Overload & School's In (first track intro is amazing time-wise)...plus Southern Exposure, Made By Maceo, & Dial Maceo...Roots Revisited (Don Pullen, Bootsy, Fred) & Mo' Roots...if we still have the chance go see him live, he is the man to see

·
Registered
589 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aSXBNv_l4zE

A decade later, but Mike Brecker playing funk 2:52 (knd of a silly dated song now, but Mike kills it)...it was even sort of popular back in the day, & can you imagine hanging out socially & hearing this? The way he brings it (3:20) off the bottom of the horn? Ha!
Killin, I'm going to try to transcribe it. I just listened using Transcribe and all the notes are pretty clear, the high note is a C.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Killin, I'm going to try to transcribe it. I just listened using Transcribe and all the notes are pretty clear, the high note is a C.
+1, except I'm busy transcribing Dex right now, so it will probably be a while. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Both Brecker brothers are credited on that album, as well as Maceo. Don't know who played on which track.

One reviewer I found credits Maceo for the solo on P-Funk.

·
Registered
357 Posts
On wikipedia, certainly not an un-impeachable resource (but for this article it looks like they did extensive homework), is a list of band members in the history of Parliament and contains the following sax players:

Mike Brecker
Darryl Dixon
Robert McCollough
Maceo Parker
Greg Thomas

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks everyone! I mean I'm not a huge fan of the solo, I just was wondering because my friend is a huge Parliament fan and I'm trying to get him into Maceo's stuff as well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,241 Posts
Just because it doesn't sound like him doesn't mean it isn't him. Brecker was a master player and he had a very strong personality, but any player of his caliber can change his sound considerably if he wants to. He was a huge fan of soul music and old-school soul players (including Maceo), so it's very conceivable for him to have played that solo. That being said, it's quite possible it was Maceo playing it, too. I've most often heard it credited to Brecker, though.

·
Registered
881 Posts
... that vibrato was not Mike's sound, & it wasn't representantive of his killer time (too "sloppy" or rushed), & honestly, it didn't sound "tenor-ish" enough to be him (too thin), even though at the time he had a much brighter tone. Maceo could've been in that horn section though...& I suppose that could've been him on tenor on an off day, as again, his super-tight time wasn't there, just a little too sloppy time-wise for him ...
Interesting post! I don't think it sounds like Maceo either. Everything I have heard of his playing before is extremely tight and groovy (from JB right up to his latest solo stuff), and the solo on this recording appears, as mentioned, a bit sloppy... Not really sloppy, but sloppy compared to what we are used to hear from this guy. Then again, people may have their suboptimal days sometimes. According to wikipedia Joe Farrell also played on this record + someone just listed as "Boom" (who is that?). Could it be one of those? (And I am not insinuating that Farrell would be more "sloppy" than Maceo or Brecker, I am just not that familiar with his playing...)
Greetings
Bjorn

·
Registered
784 Posts
From an article in Jazz Times:

Maceo Parker's Requisite Recordings - Funk you need: five essential recordings

PARLIAMENT
Mothership Connection (Casablanca, 1975)
After a brief rapprochement with Brown, Parker again abandoned him in 1975—this time to work with George Clinton’s Parliament, the most important funk group to innovate a new identity from the foundation Brown had laid. On this waggishly psychedelic masterpiece, Parker’s role is of support. But the value of his punched-out comping shouldn’t be overlooked; a brief, interstitial solo about halfway through “P-Funk (Wants to Get Funked Up)” makes that point succinctly.

http://jazztimes.com/articles/94299-maceo-parker-s-requisite-recordings

·
Registered
179 Posts
Just because it doesn't sound like him doesn't mean it isn't him. Brecker was a master player and he had a very strong personality, but any player of his caliber can change his sound considerably if he wants to. He was a huge fan of soul music and old-school soul players (including Maceo), so it's very conceivable for him to have played that solo. That being said, it's quite possible it was Maceo playing it, too. I've most often heard it credited to Brecker, though.
No way in hell.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi everybody
The guy who plays on P.Funk (wants to get funked up) from the Mothership Connection album by Parliament is not Michael Brecker
It's not Maceo Parker who was on alto sax not on tenor at this time
His name is John Brumbach better known as "Boom". He was the husband of Taka Boom, Chaka Khan's sister
He played with Rufus & Chaka Khan too and now he plays more in Blues and Jazz bands.
He is a wonderful player, not very well known but a good player with sensitivity and sound. His sound was very innovative and he should have been much considered
I'm sure he is the one who plays the solo because I read it in a Taka Boom interview. And much, I saw it in a Rufus & Chaka Khan video and he sounds like in the P.Funk solo
Michael Brecker didn't sound like this. Mike's sound is different
You can hear Michael Brecker on Gettin' to know you by Parliament or Oh, I by Funkadelic. He played in a lot of Parliament and Bootsy's Rubber Band albums.

John "Boom" Brumbach's solo in You're welcome, stop on by (begins at 3'40)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amUWPQXGY8k

Here is Gettin to know you by Parliament. Michael Brecker plays on this one, sure !!!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vtNY1Jil4RU

And another one with Brecker on solo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h__mm0ofhE0

1 - 17 of 17 Posts