Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2011/03/14/MND41IAC74.DTL

Owsley Stanley, an icon of Bay Area counterculture in the 1960s and a longtime associate of the Grateful Dead, died Sunday in a car accident in his adopted home of Queensland, Australia, according to family spokesperson Sam Cutler. He was 76.

Known as "Bear," Mr. Stanley came to prominence as the first to manufacture LSD in quantity. Jimi Hendrix's "Purple Haze" was believed to have been inspired by a particularly potent batch of Mr. Stanley's product. The Dead wrote the song "Alice D. Millionaire" in his honor after a headline in a 1967 newspaper article referred to him as an "LSD Millionaire."

Mr. Stanley was the band's first financial backer and briefly served as manager before taking on the sound engineer role. He created the first public address system specifically dedicated to music in 1966 and was responsible for the Dead's signature Wall of Sound.

He was also instrumental in founding high-end instrument manufacturer Alembic Inc. and Berkeley's concert equipment maker Meyer Sound Laboratories, which retrofitted sound equipment for AT&T Park and, more recently, Zellerbach Hall.

Many of Mr. Stanley's live recordings of the Dead were released as albums. Along with Bob Thomas, he also designed the band's famous lighting bolt skull logo, known officially as Steal Your Face.

"Bear, as we knew him, was one of my all-time biggest influences," Bob Weir, a founding member of the Dead, said in a statement. "Always, when I think of him, I think of the endless stuff he taught me or somehow made me realize; all stuff that I've been able to use to the benefit of countless people."

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
Sad news. I was a teenager in the '60s and was attracted to the "counter-culture" scene. I still have a soft spot for the '60s and Owsley was one of the near mythical figures of that period. And as MartinMusicMan noted above there was alot more to him than making LSD. RIP, man.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
27,908 Posts
I was in SF at that time, heard of Owsley acid, but I always thought Owsley was his last name, huh.

Anyhow, rip Owsley "Bear" Stanley.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts