Sax on the Web Forum banner

overtones harder on tenor than alt?

1K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  littlewailer 
#1 ·
Hi forum,
New guy here, apologies if it been asked before, couldn't find something similar using the search option or the FAQ, though.
I'm a beginner, and when I was over at my brother's with his alt sax, I've encountered the subject of overtones and practiced it for maybe a week with the alt sax,
eventually achieving good control over the the lower c to b register (the non octave key notes), being able to even produce a fifth and an octave above with most of them without too much trouble.
myself I own a tenor saxophone, and when I got back home I've tried to practice overtones with it, but for some reason I can't make it higher then the low G (concert F)
even though i've practiced overtones with the tenor a lot more than with the alto, and i'm more accustomed to the tenor.
does it make sense that overtones are harder to produce with tenor than with alt? my logic says it's the opposite and should be easier, because the notes are lower, but maybe i'm missing something.
also - it is possible that it has something to do with my tenor being a cheap, battered second hand trevor james, that has seen better days at his youth, while my brother's alt is a lot more expensive, relatively new and shiny alto?
or with the fact that in general alts are easier to play than tenors, therefore producing overtones is easier too?
I'm dazzled, thanks and appreciation to anyone who will be willing to help out...

See less See more
#2 ·
I find that tenor is actually easier than alto to produce the overtones. I'd stay with one instrument until you've got it down solid.

#4 ·
also - it is possible that it has something to do with my tenor being a cheap, battered second hand trevor james, that has seen better days at his youth, while my brother's alt is a lot more expensive, relatively new and shiny alto?
Well, for sure it's NOT because your brother's alto is shiny. Or even because it's newer. But it definitely could be a problem if your tenor has one or more leaks or other issues with its playing condition. A 'second hand' or older horn can be put into top playing condition, so the fact its an older second hand horn is not the problem, but its playing condition likely could be. Take it in to a tech and have it checked out.

Overtones are not inherently more difficult on tenor than on alto.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.