Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Unless I’m doing something wrong. Let’s see, I play a low D and without using the octave key I get the next octave D. I’ve done it for B,C,D,E,F,G,A,B ….is that overtones just a beginners bad sound or just a waste of time?

·
Registered
714 Posts
That's a great start! Overtones are super important for tone production, so keep practicing, but don't just stop at that octave. When you practice your overtones, you should aim to go as high up the harmonic series as you can comfortably get without resorting to bad habits like biting. So if you start on low Bb the rest of the series should be as follows, in order of pitch height: Bb-F-Bb-D-F-Ab, and even higher once you become more comfortable. The intervals get closer together the higher up you go. For more detail on the process, you should at least consult the Rascher book, Top-Tones for the Saxophone. This video from BetterSax is also a pretty good introduction. FWIW, there's no need to practice the overtone series above that low D, since Bb-D will cover most harmonics.

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
What part don't you understand? What you describe you accomplished are the first 2 notes in your chart. Indeed the most easy ones to produce: the baseline low note you are fingering without the octave, and the note one octave above with just controlling your air/embouchure without pressing the octave key. But there are many more above that, as shown in your chart. All to be played with the baseline fingering of the fundamental low note.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Let's just start with the first overtone, voice a low Bb (the lowest one on the horn) play it mf or so, now without usingyour embouchure or tongue voice it up to the middle Bb using nothing but your airstream and oral cavity, now go back down to low Bb. Keep doing this without any grunt or funky sound in the notes, nice and smooth, when you can do that back and forth without any problem add the next partial which is an F, repeating in the same way, nice smooth transition between them, at the beginning try playing them as whole or half notes which will make the transitions a little easier. See if you still find it easy, but remember no biting or changing the embouchure to get the overtone just using your control of your oral cavity and air stream.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
4,828 Posts
Let's just start with the first overtone, voice a low Bb (the lowest one on the horn) play it mf or so, now without usingyour embouchure or tongue voice it up to the middle Bb using nothing but your airstream and oral cavity, now go back down to low Bb. Keep doing this without any grunt or funky sound in the notes, nice and smooth, when you can do that back and forth without any problem add the next partial which is an F, repeating in the same way, nice smooth transition between them, at the beginning try playing them as whole or half notes which will make the transitions a little easier. See if you still find it easy, but remember no biting or changing the embouchure to get the overtone just using your control of your oral cavity and air stream.
Going up? i’d bet cash money OP can’t even go down the octave cleanly, and that’s the easy part…unless you’re biting of course…

·
4,828 Posts
It’s the overtone series spelled out on a staff..should be a grand staff with the lower being bass clef the way this person decided to write it out. So:

Low C fingered you get the Fundamental C, then the overtones…
(Mid) C, (octave) G, (octave) C, (palm key) E, (altissimo) G, Bb, C, D, E, F#, G, A, Bb, B…

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
Going up? i’d bet cash money OP can’t even go down the octave cleanly, and that’s the easy part…unless you’re biting of course…

Lol, yeah I didn't think he would probably be able to do it, but you need to start somewhere, hope your doing well I seem to remember buying or selling something with you before don't remember what though.

·
4,828 Posts
Lol, yeah I didn't think he would probably be able to do it, but you need to start somewhere, hope your doing well I seem to remember buying or selling something with you before don't remember what though.
I think we had a mouthpiece sale one way or the other between us… or maybe some other piece of gear. I think you also sent me some education links at one point. Hope you’re well!

·
Premium Member
3,911 Posts
Unless I’m doing something wrong. Let’s see, I play a low D and without using the octave key I get the next octave D. I’ve done it for B,C,D,E,F,G,A,B ….is that overtones just a beginners bad sound or just a waste of time?
You are playing the 2nd harmonic which is an octave above the fundamental (also called the 1st harmonic). It is typically easiest because the "peak" of that harmonic is nearly as strong as the peak of the fundamental. In fact when you play below low D, the height of the peak of the 2nd harmonic is higher than that of the fundamental. This is why when you play a low C mf and then diminuendo down to pp without making any changes, at one point the note will jump an octave on its own. The important thing is that the player is able to control which harmonic sounds at any given time. With practice, one can play a "multiphonic" on the lowest notes sounding both octaves at the same time. If you hear "beats" it means the octaves are slightly out of tune with one another. How in tune the harmonics of a saxophone are is called it's "harmonicity".

·
4,828 Posts
Cut the OP some slack, he's trying (sometimes too hard ;))

Here is a good video on "tone exercises) including overtones by Jon Leadbetter:
I know…it’s just with things like overtones and altissimo and beginners it’s like watching someone from a birds-eye view entering a maze and taking a long-running and promising side route with a hard stop dead end that forces a person to go 85% of the way back to the start point before making new progress. The fundamentals of sound production are really where in person instruction with a good sax player are crucial…and most often not available due to school system or adult/ internet learning. Any monkey can learn to push buttons and read dots on sheet music if we try.

·
Registered
3,493 Posts
I know…it’s just with things like overtones and altissimo and beginners it’s like watching someone from a birds-eye view entering a maze and taking a long-running and promising side route with a hard stop dead end that forces a person to go 85% of the way back to the start point before making new progress.
Precisely, that's why I said (sometimes too hard ;) )
Some things just need to grow in a structured and organic manner and there are really no shortcuts.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you choose not to educate me then please don’t answer and keep your bet’s too yourself OFYRTTP

·
4,828 Posts
If you choose not to educate me then please don’t answer and keep your bet’s too yourself OFYRTTP
I chose to make a comment on a public saxophone forum that’s most pertinent to your situation: get lessons in person. I made the joke about the bet when you tipped your hand…then I provided knowledge explaining the picture you attached. What else would you like me to do for you?

edit: what, dare I ask, does OFYRTTP mean?

·
TOTM administrator
Tenor: Eastman 52nd St, Alto: P. Mauriat 67RDK, Soprano: Eastern Music Curvy
7,223 Posts
Making up acronyms is fun! My favorite is GAIOYWHBH - get an instructor or you will have bad habits

·
Registered
3,884 Posts
OP, what are your thoughts on all the answers trying to help with your question? Is it more clear now?

About 2/3 of this thread are people legitimately trying to help, yet the only comments you address are the silly off-topic ones.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts