Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking of getting a (small bell) Buescher Big B tenor repadded. The original snap in resonators are gone, and the horn now has rivet pads without resonators. The tone sounds dark to me, but stuffy.

Since I will be using this horn around amplified instruments, I thought I should get over-sized flat metal resonators. I want to restore the classic Buescher tone, but with some punch. Do you think the over-sized resonators would change the character of the horn too much, and make it sound like a brighter modern horn, and could the oversized resonators effect intonation?

If the oversized resonators will alter the tone character too much, what resonator/pad combination would bring the horn back to having the dark, classic, vintage Buescher tone, but with improved projection?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Resonators don't change the tone, they merely reflect more or less of the horn's tone depending on the size of the reso. aka bigger reso = more reflection.

Check out the seemless domed reso's at musicmedic.com They have an appearance that's quite similar to the original snap ins. Go with a medium sized reso and you'll be very close to original configuration. The white Roo pads will also aid in that retro look.

Want to brighten your tone? Try other mouthpieces.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks T-Bone

I have a Vandoren Jumbo Java T-75 for the bright side, a Kessler OL7 Pro 7 on the dark side, and a couple of others in the middle of those two. Once the horn is finished I'll experiment more.

Are those seamless resonators that you mentioned metal?

My Buescher tenor is silver plated. I thought I read somewhere that tarnish from the silver might stain those white pads. Is that true?

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
They're nickel plated.

They put white leather pads in the old silver plated horns without much problems. There's a lot of urban myth out there! :shock:

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,861 Posts
tbone said:
They're nickel plated.

They put white leather pads in the old silver plated horns without much problems. There's a lot of urban myth out there! :shock:
Indeed.

I have a small bell Big B tenor also, & the pads are in pretty fair shape right now,
but... I think the Saxgourmet black roo pads w/ Maestro airtight resos would
be a great way to go, also.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have known Selmer Mk VI resonators work well; the shape is very similar to the snaps.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.