Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
While playing a gig outside on a terrace my sound just wasn't right, there was a strange extra component that I couldn't shake. Tried changing mouthpieces and reeds to find something that worked right in the environment. It wouldn't go away, then realized that about 10 feet directly above my chair was a celing fan moving at a pretty good rate. There were many fans in the area, but I only switched off the one directly above. Made all the difference. I could not detect that the fan affected the bass or guitar. I don't know if someone some distance away could also hear the distortion when the fan was on or if it only affected me, being directly under it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,035 Posts
I have noticed the same thing in my home. Drives me crazy.

One other similar experience - I was playing in a very large room with a PA set up by the organizers of the pancake festival to be used for many groups.

My sound on alto was not right in the monitor. It sounded very raspy. The problem turned out to be that some of the teflon tape on the neck had pulled off the end of the neck and was buzzing when I played. It sounded almost like a growl.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you think it's bad playing saxophone...try playing bassoon with a fan on. For several years I could never figure out what was up with my sound, then I finally realized it...now I never practice with the fan on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,147 Posts
The fan blades upset the air, similar to a growl.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Face Ache Mike said:
Now you know how the vibraphone was invented :)
Heh, I was thinking more of a Leslie speaker but you beat me to it with the vibes. I so want a vibraphone, they absolutely rock (albeit in a warm, laid back, mellow sort of way ;) )

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Old King Log
801 Posts
I used to irritate a lieutenant colonel who I did not get along with in the service by whistling at just the right frequency that would set up "interference beats" with a wall-mounted fan in his office. I'd be outside dealing with some business, and while waiting I would (at a very low volume level and facing away the whole time) work my way up to the pitch until the resulting noise sounded like an un-synchronized four engine bomber flying overhead at extreme altitude.

Even with the whistling at a very low volume level, the same "beat" would be set up. You more sensed it than heard it.

He would come busting out of the office whenever it happened, looking for the sound source, but he never caught on as to what was happening...

·
Registered
393 Posts
SOTSDO said:
I used to irritate a lieutenant colonel who I did not get along with in the service by whistling at just the right frequency that would set up "interference beats" with a wall-mounted fan in his office. I'd be outside dealing with some business, and while waiting I would (at a very low volume level and facing away the whole time) work my way up to the pitch until the resulting noise sounded like an un-synchronized four engine bomber flying overhead at extreme altitude.

Even with the whistling at a very low volume level, the same "beat" would be set up. You more sensed it than heard it.

He would come busting out of the office whenever it happened, looking for the sound source, but he never caught on as to what was happening...
Terry
You're living proof that there is a little "rascal" in everyone.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts