Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, our project horn is now finished. Started out with a horn that was in very good condition with the exception of a few large lacquer issues. Extremely clean dent-wise. Hard to believe she's 85 years young[rolleyes]

Body of horn was completely stripped of old lacquer and a soft satin brush finish applied and several coats of carnuba to reduce tarnishing. Keys were left original with the exception of 7 keys that required polishing and re-lacquering. So the end result is a two tone lacquer/brushed raw finish:
[/url]
Chu Berry 2 [/IMG]
[/url]
Chu Berry 3[/IMG]
[/url]
Chu Berry 1 [/IMG]
[/url]
Chu Berry 4 [/IMG]

Bob Dawson (Hawkeye Sax Works) did an awesome job of overhauling the tricky bits. All new leather with Hollywood resonators, new corks and new felts. The horn is truly a beast, even with a 15 year old at the helm and just got the horn back today:
http://soundcloud.com/wwjdwithca/take-the-a-train
A vintage pro beast of a horn, all for less than a student Yamaha:mrgreen:

Thanks Bob for the great work. Couple of customizations made as well, new thumb rest and neck strap ring was lowered about an inch. My Son says the thumb rest works great, he doesn't even notice it as being an issue any more. You want work done on a vintage piece, they don't get any better than Hawkeye.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
17,979 Posts
Pretty cool...would like to see if you can get a better shot of the brushed finish...hard to see it in the one closeup.

Also, how does the carnuba wax feel ? Interesting choice as a finish application.....

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pretty cool...would like to see if you can get a better shot of the brushed finish...hard to see it in the one closeup.

Also, how does the carnuba wax feel ? Interesting choice as a finish application.....
Here's a pic that shows the brushed finish better:
[/url]
Chu Berry 5[/IMG]

The carnuba feels a bit slimey, and not slippery like you might think. It certainly doesn't make the horn feel hard to handle in any way, but it certainly does feel different from a typical finish. The idea was that since the metal was exposed to get something on it that would stop tarnishing for the longest period and not have to be polishing on it every week. I thought it might work because I've found success with other devices that tarnish, and I found reference to using it on a trumpet site so I figured it was safe.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts