Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So it's been a good 4 years since my saxes have been touched by a tech. I need to get the all overhauled eventually, but for right now I don't have the money to do that. I was wondering what a reasonable price range would be for a regular adjustment. I know it varies, but am wondering if the price a tech gave me is reasonable enough. He said for an adjustment on a Tenor would be from 75 - 125 depending on what all needs adjusted and if any pads really need to be replaced. And a total overhaul would be 375 - 400. Just let me know if these are good prices... Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,267 Posts
Those are great prices, and actually not unusual if you shop around and get recommendations from local players. Not only are mail order shops trying to convince you that an overhaul should cost $1,500.00, but I've seen know-nothing hacks without references working out of their homes trying to get the same exorbitant amount. Just make sure the tech you're thinking of using has references and/or comes well recommended.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well my problem is that I live in Boise, ID... Not many techs around that I have ever heard of. I called a music shop and these are the prices they gave me. I have dealt with the owner myself(who is a sax player) a few times and he seems to know what he is doing, but I have never let him touch my saxes yet. So I am not sure if anyone on here knows of any good techs out here. I am not willing to ship, but I would rather do face to face exchange.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,267 Posts
I am not willing to ship, but I would rather do face to face exchange.
Smart, because often horns that are overhauled need minor tweaks at the shop when picked up by the player. You can always start with a small job first. Back in the day, I could always tell a good tech by how well they replaced the neck cork. But the shop owner shouldn't be upset with you if you ask for references. You do have some nice horns and I don't blame you for being cautious.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So on for a new thread...ANY TECHS IN BOISE?!

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,328 Posts
Good work is where you find it. A low price or a high price, NYC or Boise. Word of mouth is your best indicator, whether they work out of their home or in Times Square, do local or mail-in work. I've done all of the above, and the work is the same, and people seem to like it wherever I am.

Always a good idea to call the local sax teachers (professors if you have a college nearby) and ask where they go.

I got a couple of hits by inputting "boise idaho sax repair" into google.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,460 Posts
So what do you all define an adjustment to be?

I would expect check for leaks and re-seat good pads, check for rattles fix with a little cork work and lubricate the rods.

How about checking the intonation and open pad height settings?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,460 Posts
a total over haul on a tenor for anything less then $600 is a steal. Maybe you or they mean just replacing all the pads for $375?

An overhaul includes stripping the sax cleaning it, polishing it, fixing a reasonable number and size of dings, checking and fixing how level the tone hole chimney tops are, new pads, all new corks, swagging the rods so they don't rattle, fixing impacted posts and the list goes on and on.

The end result is essentially making a sax mechanically new again.

where as a repad is just about replacing the pads. and $375 is very reasonable for that.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
5,049 Posts
If the repairer you got this estimate from is in your area maybe you can go meet them, so they can look at your sax and explain what the problems are and what needs to be done. Some repairers would do this for free.

Smart, because often horns that are overhauled need minor tweaks at the shop when picked up by the player.
In addition you get a better idea of the person from meeting them. A friend once went to a recommneded repairer and left after a few minutes for reasons that had nothing to do with the level of repairs.

Those are great prices
Are they really...? I don't mean a $400 overhaul is not a great price if it's good... but it's unclear if the $75 is a minimum for an adjustment. If any small adjustment has the minimum of $75 then it could explain how a place can afford to do a $400 good overhaul. It might be financed by all those paying the very high price of $75 for very little...
I don't know if this is the case for the estimate in the first post and I'm not saying it is. Maybe it's something to ask the repairer you are dealing with personally.

An overhaul includes stripping the sax cleaning it, polishing it, fixing a reasonable number and size of dings, checking and fixing how level the tone hole chimney tops are, new pads, all new corks, swagging the rods so they don't rattle, fixing impacted posts and the list goes on and on.
These things can vary. More often than not people ask me not to polish their instrument. Actually I don't include polishing as part of anything. Cleaning can vary a lot depending on how dirty the instrument is, some people have terrible condition saxophones but keep them clean. etc. etc.
So best to ask the repairer about all these things.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I really appreciate the feedback guys. As far as i asked him was the overhaul would contain all new pads, and greasing and oiling the sax up. I didn't even think about the rest of all the things you could do to a sax. I will be going to his shop this week to try out some of his Theo Wanne mouthpieces, so i will ask him about the whole kit-and-kaboodle. Also the 75 minimum i am not sure if that is actually a minimum, I will also ask about that too.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
If he has any "overhauled" saxes for sale, play-check them, for at least some indication. :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.