Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been playing saxophone for 7 years. Started on Tenor Saxophone and it has stayed that way. It is my senior year at my high school and as a senior I am allowed to do a Senior Concierto. For my Concierto I want to play "Over The Rainbow" by Richard Elliot. I fell in love with the song when I first heard it, bringing tears to my eyes and putting a warm feeling inside my heart. The reason behind this is because my best friend lost his father a year ago and Israel Kamakawiwo’ole's version of "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" was played at his funeral. He was like my second father and I want to perform my last notes for this family being that I will not be moving on with music in college. This family has taken me in when I have had no where else to go and has done so much for me. I've tried contacting Richard Elliot in hopes that he has some sheet music for me, but no reply. I came across this forum and decided to give hope one last try. If all else fails I am going to try to transcibe it, it would just be a nice start to have a "Skeleton" to build off of. (i.e. sheet music) Please PLEASE PLEASE let me know if you can help in ANY WAY SHAPE OR FORM! I appreciate anything! Thank you!

Here is a link where you can listen to the song.
http://same-melody.com/over-the-rainbow/richard-elliot-over-the-rainbowsax.html

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,090 Posts
Are you referring to the Judy Garland Tune from "The Wizard of Oz"? This is a standard tune available in Fake Books and probalbly from a number of publishing distributors, although you might have a problem finding it in your specific key. I believe this tune is still under copyright so Richard Elliot couldn't distribute the sheet music to you. Do a web search, I'm sure you'll find it available. Better yet, it's an easy tune, learn it by ear.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
565 Posts
I remember when I heard George Adams do "Wonderful World" and it really moved me like you described. I think some of my emotion had to do with the passion he had for playing...just watching him play was amazing.

Anyway, here is Kirk Whalum's version of Over the Rainbow
http://free.napster.com/player/?play_id=12611152&type=track

You can visit www.SaxSolos.com for the transcription.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts