Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am being tempted to buy an early Couesnon Monopole bari. The seller says the C tone hole is oval, and they think it was made that way. To be really fair, the actual words are:

"It does have rolled tone holes except for the low C hole which is oval and does not have (I believe strongly that's original) rolled tone hole"

and believing strongly still leaves them the option to be wrong.

I honestly don't think they are trying to decieve - but might its C tone hole be the only one without rolled edges and oval by design? The seller kindly sent photos but the degree of ovoid shape can not be seen, or even if it is oval at all. The is no other evident distortng damage down there that I can pick out of the picture.

Judging by a quick comparison with info on saxpics.com, it is probably pre 1937 and definitely post 1900 but unable to narrow it down further.

Any opinions?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,571 Posts
Oval Tone hole... my thoughts

My guess is that the C had a rolled tone hole.

Chances are it was warped and the tech may not have been able to level out the tone hole because of the dent and decided to level it by filing.

This is the problem with rolled tone holes, you cannot level it by filing. It takes a bit more work by a skilled technician to properly fix a warped rolled tone hole.

Just my 2 cents on this one.
HUTMO

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
if you don't buy it, please let me know :D
also, how much is it? if you don't mind me asking
i want to get an idea of what they sell for, cos shwoodwind says they sell for £250 ($500) alto and tenor which must be out of date by now

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SearjeantSax said:
if you don't buy it, please let me know :D
also, how much is it? if you don't mind me asking
i want to get an idea of what they sell for, cos shwoodwind says they sell for £250 ($500) alto and tenor which must be out of date by now
Hi SearjeantSax

Yes, I have mentioned this to Steve Howard (shwoodwind)! I paid about $900 (equivalent) for each of my alto and tenor - and they are mine that Steve reviewed on his web site! but they are quite amazing instruments and still a crazy bargain at that price for what you get.

The Bari is offered for 1000 euro. I guess about $1400? I am very tempted.

I will post a couple of photos. If the tone hole has been ground down, I wonder what that will do to the intonation.

Thanks for your thoughts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Hopefully, pictures below.

As for anything Couesnon, I have rather taken advantage already of the very good nature and remarkable knowledge of saintsday. He thinks he does have an alto in his extensive collection with one tone hole not rolled. He just has to work out which of the many cases it is in....

View attachment 2827

View attachment 2828

View attachment 2829

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Saintsday - I am again in your debt!

That is really interesting, and of course a very good point about the nickel plate, as the photo of the bari does not suggest loss of plate at the edge. Wish I'd thought of that....

Did you have any further thoughts about what it is keyed up to from the photo?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
wow, what a bargain!!
i am in the Uk so that is about £600
does it need an overhaul?
i am so tempted but really haven't got that much money :(
i suppose the seller won't take payment in monthly installments? ;)
grrrrrr, so desperate for that bari!!
GAS :twisted:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think it is always safe to assume that anything bought snd shipped needs work doing to it. From what I gather, it does not need an overhaul, but setup and regulation certainly. There may be some pads need looking at, but playable from the box if the French and UK postal services take notice of the fragile signs.

I have looked to try and work out what a reasonable price would be for an otherwise sight unseen and untested baritone. I would certainly factor in another couple of hundred pounds to spend on it if I were to get it.

I think it would be a reasonable or good price if it works well, but have found nothing to compare it with. It might be a bargain if it sounds as good as my other Couesnon, but it is a couple of generations younger than my others, and better or worse could just be a lucky dip.

I have even tried to look at the last few months' past sales of baris on Ebay and SOTW. The most expensive seems to have been a Conn12m at £2000 and the cheapest have been Martin and Bundy at the £300 to £500 mark. Of the 14 traded, the average price has been £850 - and that is as scientific as it gets!!

·
Banned
3,781 Posts
I have seen this on a buescher. It helps the player seal up the pad with less pressure. More of a feature for begginners, but a great horn none the less!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts