Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
May be headed to the Outer Banks. Up in the north end. Just wondering if there are any can't miss music venues and/or hotspots, restaurants, dive bars, etc. folks in North Carolina can recommend.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,160 Posts
Which part of the north OBX? If you're into beer there are some good breweries. Weeping Radish is interesting and has some cool history and great german food

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Corolla? The best thing about the OBX is the OBX - its addictive. I had hoped to move down there after retirement and gig at night, walk the beach in the morning. Unfortunately the entertainment scene ain't much but a few places might be bringing in some groups. You can check the entertainment guides once you get there. The one thing to get used to is driving for hours to get anywhere - its just a long peninsula/islands and it can easily be 20 miles to get somewhere or even 50 down to Hatteras, etc. The north end (Duck, Corolla) has built out a little more recently so its not so bad to find someplace to go. The Sunset grille in Duck is the best place down there and literally has a wonderful view of the sunset over the Currituck Sound.
I think you'll be lucky to catch any band with a sax - mostly single acts, trios, etc. I've played down there a number of times for different events in hotels, etc. but never as a club gig.
Myrtle Beach, a little farther down the coast, has a big music scene - its the home of 'beach music' if you know what that is, and its not about the west coast.:) Look up 'I love beach music' by 'The Embers' and you'll get the idea.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
don't know about venues, but i will say i stayed at Duck once, and got caught in a riptide that came in sudden after i had been body surfing quite a while. scared the heck out of me. i found swimming at Corolla a lot safer. fwiw.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Though they're not part of the Outer Banks, there's Carolina Beach and Kure (pronounced Kurry) beach. (Connect to I-77 South, and it's a straight shot to either. Farther north of Kure and Carolina Beaches), there's also Ocean Isles, though there's not much going on the music-wise (at least not since I visited this summer). Ocean Isles is also a straight shot on I-77 South. Get off at the Whiteville exit and go west).
Both Kure and Carolina beaches are sort of college hangouts (in the bars, anyway). University of North Carolina at Wilmington is just west of Kure and Carolina. If you head that way, you can take a peek at Music Medic's store in Wilmington (a quaint little city on the Cape Fear River)

If you go to Myrtle Beach, know that there's North Myrtle (which is a bit expensive) and South Myrtle (Touristy, but a lot less expensive. There are a lot of seafood buffets there).

I don't know who the reigning band at South Myrtle is now, but for years, it was Chairmen of the Board.(Only one original member left). I'm not even sure if that band still performs in Myrtle (or at all), but if you like Oldies music, You'll love South Myrtle Beach. In North Myrtle, there's the North Beach Plantation area, a very pricey area. Some of the hotels are quite expensive. At least one hotel featured a big band a number of years ago. (I can't remember which one. It was quite a while ago).

The Outer Banks is great for the outdoor enthusiast, particularly the fisherman. The bluefish run starts in October, and surf fishing at high tide is a blast. Just watch out for sharks. There have been more and more sightings along the Carolina coasts during the past few year.

Music? I've never considered the Outer Banks a mecca for music. The locals have their bands. Here's this month's lineup for a few spots:

http://www.outerbankslivemusic.com/

No matter what you choose to do at the Outer Banks, bring a camera. There are some very pretty sunrises and photogenic scenery (THREE light houses!)

·
25,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The Outer Banks is great for the outdoor enthusiast, particularly the fisherman. The bluefish run starts in October, and surf fishing at high tide is a blast.
That's really why I'm going. I'm an avid surf fisherman. I use an old Abu Garcia 9000 open spooled conventional reel on a custom made 11.5' surf rod. I can literally cast a chunk of bait about the length of a football field with that setup and it has served me well for many, many years. We may get a charter as well depending on how things go when we're down there.

But I won't be in the far north. I'll be in Kitty Hawk, and we've already been to Myrtle Beach, so most likely won't be going back (a place for a bunch of tatted up smokers, according to my girlfriend). So keep the suggestions coming. All are most appreciated (even from tatted up smokers... who I don't mind so much).

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
You will love surf and charter fishing in the OBX! The bluefish hit Johnson lures and many others or you can put on a bottom rig and take flounder, spot and croaker. But if you go in the water, heed the red flags - they mean 'rip-tide' so don't go in beyond wading. If you find a sax player down there, take a picture. Myrtle beach unfortunately is the site for a huge biker gathering so maybe you saw some of that.

·
25,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
But if you go in the water, heed the red flags - they mean 'rip-tide' so don't go in beyond wading.
I'm fairly used to rough surf on the east coast. I boogey-board, and years ago put skegs on mine. I also wear surf fins. I used to swim quite a bit, out past the breakers along the shore. But that's in Maryland... where there's never been a fatal shark attack. Might not push my luck out there in NC.

·
25,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
2,068 Posts
We go down to N.C. every other year or so, my wife's sister lives just outside Wrightsville beach, we usually go down to Kure Beach, I always bring my horn, I can be found playing in the state park or at the dunes near the Southport Ferry, or on the beach , I love it , we will be in the OBX for vacation next summer, cape Hatteras I think, then fly back to Europe with my granddaughter, 1 week in Barcelona 2 weeks near Dusseldorf,

1 - 10 of 10 Posts