Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,
This is has been discussed a bit on this forum, and I wanted to announce that the official release date is today. Order at www.jondelucia.com/shop.

I am a jazz saxophonist in NYC, and a teacher for 16 years. The press release for the book is below. I hope you will read my latest blog post, part of a new series regarding Paul Desmond and his use of these kinds of structures: http://www.jondelucia.com/bach-intervallic-sequences-paul-desmond/

Thank you for your time!
Jon

www.bachshapes.com

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

BACH SHAPES, A NEW SAXOPHONE BOOK THAT COMBINES BAROQUE MELODIES WITH A JAZZ APPROACH, RELEASES MAY 25.

May 12, 2017 New York, NY - Bach Shapes, a new method book for saxophone that utilizes baroque melodies for interval practice and jazz improvisation, will be released worldwide on May 25, 2017. The book was written by Jon De Lucia, designed by Chrissy Kurpeski, and published by Musaeum Clausum Press.

"My idea was to distill some of the iconic scale sequences in Bach's music into patterns that one could work through all keys, and possible apply to improvisation, though the book is useful for musicians of all styles of music," says author of Bach Shapes, Brooklyn-based saxophonist Jon De Lucia. "The etudes in the back are written over standard jazz changes to see how one could use the 'Shapes' that way if desired."

Numerous arrangements of Bach's music are currently available for saxophone and other woodwinds, but this is the first to work with this material in this manner. The foreword to the book mentions the long history of integrating jazz with Bach's music. Jazz luminaries John Lewis, Dave Brubeck and Jacques Loussier have all released albums of Bach's music or other fugue inspired material. De Lucia's project, the Luce Trio, performs baroque repertoire combined with jazz improvisation on their debut release, Pieces, Vol. 1, and appeared live at the Greene Space in Tribeca as part of WQXR's Bach 360 Festival in 2013.

The book features a repository of Bach's more well known sequences, taken from the Violin Partitas, Flute Sonatas, Inventions, and Cello Suites. Large interval leaps, often very difficult on the saxophone, are emphasized and the introductory material explains different ways to practice this. The patterns are then organized in order of difficulty and transposed to all keys, followed by 4 etudes. While it is an especially good workout for all saxophones, the book could be practiced on any instrument, and the author finds it very useful for flute and clarinet as well.

"The book is only the beginning. I will be recording audio and video materials to supplement the book, explaining various ways to practice the material," continues De Lucia. "I also hope to have an etude writing contest, and to continue collecting 'shapes' for a Volume 2. For now, I hope that this will be the kind of book people will leave out on their stand so they can flip open a page and find a challenge to work through for a few minutes a day."

Bach Shapes has already been praised by broadway and jazz musicians in New York City, including Andrew Sterman, Sam Sadigursky, Walt Weiskopf, and Dmitry Baevsky along with woodwind faculty at Berklee College of Music, City College of New York, and New England Conservatory.

The book is officially out on May 25th, 2017 with pre-orders being taken at bachshapes.com, while it will also be available on amazon.com and at Jamey Aebersold's online store, jazzbooks.com. Blog updates regarding the book will be regularly posted at www.jondelucia.com/blog. De Lucia's Saxophone Octet will perform a baroque-themed concert on May 29th at Sir D's Lounge in Brooklyn and November 12th at St. John's Lutheran in Greenwich Village to celebrate the release of the book. More information at www.jondelucia.com.

Bach Shapes
by Jon De Lucia
Release Date: May 25, 2017
Imprint: Musaeum Clausum Press
Soft Cover, Perfect Bound
Pages: 76
Retail Price: $18.95
ISBN: 978-0-692-84477-9

About the Author

Jon De Lucia is a woodwind performer based in Brooklyn, NY. He has released three albums as a leader, most recently As The River Sings on Fresh Sound New Talent in 2017. He holds an MA in Jazz Studies from the City College of New York and has studied with Lee Konitz, Andrew Sterman, Bill Pierce, George Garzone, Greg Osby, Joe Lovano and many more. His interest in the music of the baroque led to the forming of the Luce Trio, a new take on early music for saxophone, electric guitar and bass. This group has performed on WQXR's Bach 360 and released Pieces, Vol. 1 on Musaeum Clausum Recordings. He can be found regularly performing in the NYC area with such musicians as Bill Crow, Michael Kanan, Putter Smith, Billy Mintz, Chris Tordini and more.

·
Registered
324 Posts
I've been working out of Jon's Bach Shapes book for the past two weeks. I got interested in exploring more Bach after noticing the impact that memorizing the prelude to the first cello suite had on both my technique and voice leading choices. Jon's book seems to have distilled what I found so musical in the prelude. Running these exercise through the cycle is a great warm-up and a great way to ingest these beautiful shapes.

Thanks for doing all the work to put this together Jon!

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've been working out of Jon's Bach Shapes book for the past two weeks. I got interested in exploring more Bach after noticing the impact that memorizing the prelude to the first cello suite had on both my technique and voice leading choices. Jon's book seems to have distilled what I found so musical in the prelude. Running these exercise through the cycle is a great warm-up and a great way to ingest these beautiful shapes.

Thanks for doing all the work to put this together Jon!
Thank you for checking it out in the early stages! I think just doing a little bit with the shapes is a nice addition to a practice routine. I am currently putting together a masterclass/video idea that I will share that will have a bunch of ways to practice the material. Keep checking out the blog for more in this Paul Desmond series etc. In the meantime if you have any time I would love for you to write what you wrote here in an Amazon review for the book if you get a chance. First time printing a book, and the support of the guys here in the forum helps a ton!
Jon

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi everyone, long time no see. I'm starting a FB Live workshop series on ideas from the Bach Shapes books if you are interested. This week is Circle of Fifths shapes from Bach, that can be adapted for jazz and improvisation inspiration. Something like this, but diatonic vs dominant:

You can watch it on Jon De Lucia Music on Facebook on September 10th at 11am, this Thursday, or on my site, embedded here:
https://www.jondelucia.com/new-fb-live-workshops-starting-september-10th/

I'm also running a promotion for the print edition of the book, $14 plus shipping gets you Bach Shapes and my CD As the River Sings out on Fresh Sound New Talent.

That's it, hope you can join the workshop, I'll be taking questions and posting on Youtube later along with a PDF download.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi everyone, it's been 4 years and Bach Shapes II is out this May! Before that I'm putting out an Etude collection of Bach related lines, out March 31st and am doing a bunch of workshops, you can visit my blog at jondelucia.com/blog for updates. But most importantly, I'm moving this month and am putting the original Bach Shapes on sale for $10 on my site only. Here it is:
Bach Shapes - New Book for Saxophone - Jon De Lucia Music
Thanks for your support so far!
Jon

1 - 7 of 7 Posts