Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm out of commission for a while; got a dog bite on Sunday (my dog, shots up to date, food issues with another dog).

I thought things were healing fine, but Wednesday night after going to bed, my finger swelled tremendously and the pain was so bad it woke me up at 2:00 a.m. Tried icing it so I could go back to sleep, but it was persistent. Took a Lyft to the ER at 4:00.

LSS - I ended up on IV antibiotics for the next week. I'm wearing a pump that delivers it every 8 hours, plus a daily 20 minute top up.

The lesson - ALWAYS get a bite that breaks the skin checked out.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,402 Posts
Darn! that dog must've chomped down good on your finger. After you deal with the infection you could probably manage the pain with a mild pain killer, maybe Tylenol 3.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
This is true of cat bites too - my cat almost killed me a couple years ago. A small bite on the leg (she was playing with my foot because I was doing step exercises on my stairs - that's what I get for exercising I should have known better!), didn't even draw much blood. Just a small puncture wound.

Next day my leg was sore, and I had a fever and chills. Went to the ER and ended up spending 2 days in ICU and 4 more days in a regular room. Septicemia. My blood pressure went down to 60 over 40, or something like that, so they ended up putting in a big IV with multiple tubes into my neck, 3 different antibiotics and some stimulant to keep my blood pressure up.

I've since had several conversations with the cat about this, but she's very stubborn and refuses to stop playing with me. She's learned to not bite so hard ... usually...

·
Administrator
13,985 Posts
I read about your mishap on Facebook. Merlin I hope that you have a speedy recovery my friend!

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008
3,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Darn! that dog must've chomped down good on your finger. After you deal with the infection you could probably manage the pain with a mild pain killer, maybe Tylenol 3.
I got dilaudid at the hospital, which definitely took the agony out. I haven’t need much in the way of pain meds since then. Ibuprofen works for me.

The pain I felt from the infection was almost as bad as the bite aftermath.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts