·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,405 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #64 ·
Bro, sorry to hear about all of this. Hang in there the best you can, and I hope you get some relief soon!
Thank you, Mark. Me, too! The VA is like watching molasses going uphill in the wintertime. I did play today, for the first time in weeks. I have to do it sitting down, and it's not like I'm used to......but it's playing, so I'll take it! Be well.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
Thanks REK.
From the sound of it, you're beyond the point where nutrition can help your knee much. Unless it's an endocrine/metabolic problem good nutrition is often of more benefit preventing disease than treating it. A low inflammatory diet, plant-based is best, may help with arthritis. Getting adequate vitamin D is important for bone healing and maintenance. If you're over 60 you might need supplemental B12, 1000 mcg/daily is the usual amount. Many are deficient and don't know it. Many of my mysterious pains and ailments resolved with that.

Your experience with doctors reflects their training: lots of pharmacology and almost no nutrition. My nutrition knowledge was 99% self-taught and I was always the only one documenting nutrition advice in the clinics I worked at.

Given what sounds like the severity of your knee condition and your questions about the diagnosis/treatment plan I hope you have a follow-up scheduled. If the doctor's logic isn't making sense, tell them and ask for a better explanation. Don't let them run away until you have your questions answered. If you aren't improving and you continue to have questions about the diagnosis and treatment then it's time to see another doctor.
I'm afraid I do eat a lot of tomatoes, and I'd have a hard time cutting them from my diet.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Thanks Squealer. That's what everyone seems to say. Maybe I can get a twofer, and get my hip done at the same time?
If it comes to it, hip replacement is easier than knee. I'm currently rehabbing my second knee replacement, just over two months post op. Had one hip replaced, about twelve years ago. Neither is fun, both beat the alternative in my experience.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #67 ·
Well, it looks like replacements are not an option the VA is going to pursue with me. They prefer to watch me suffer! I'm definitely going to look into their Pain Management Clinic. Got to stay away from sugars, too. When I eat things heavy with sugar, my whole body starts twitching like crazy. Drives me nuts, till it goes away, which can be several hours after it starts.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,884 Posts
Get away from high fructose corn syrup and refined sugar. It took me awhile but organic raw sugar made a lot of difference.
Ask to see a nutritionist /dietitian. Foods like spinach were killing me. Who knew ?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Right when I was starting to have a lot of fun with my new STM/Optimum setup, my left knee decides to go into major pain mode, just about completely incapacitating me. I went to my closest VA Urgent Care on Wed, and they were little help. Luckily, I've got some low end pain killers left over from a previous biking injury, that should offer more help than the 500mg Tylenols they prescribed. For two weeks it was fairly bearable, but not so much, anymore.
My pain has been gone since I have a medical marijuanna card the edibles manage the pain for up to 6 hours and no side effects or danger to you liver and kidneys .

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
My pain has been gone since I have a medical marijuanna card the edibles manage the pain for up to 6 hours and no side effects or danger to you liver and kidneys .
As much as that might be the solution to the problem, I'm reluctant to use it. I was treated for marijuana addiction, back in '89. Now, they legalize it! Go figure. The unfortunate thing is that my retirement income doesn't really have any room for it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
As much as that might be the solution to the problem, I'm reluctant to use it. I was treated for marijuana addiction, back in '89. Now, they legalize it! Go figure. The unfortunate thing is that my retirement income doesn't really have any room for it.
Pain killers are way more addictive and can kill you marijuana can't. very. safe

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Otto Link STM NY 7
404 Posts
My friend, it still bothers me that you have been told that they cannot.do anything. One of my sons came home from Iraq disabled. He had a terrible pain in his ankle that the VA could not diagnose. At first they thought it was metal, but the the muscle started to atrophy, which is not a mental thing. He finally found a doctor who traced down the pain issue and performed a surgery. He remains 100 disabled and does fine now, no more pain pills. I still think it might be good to ask. You know, the VA is not always the best care.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #75 ·
My friend, it still bothers me that you have been told that they cannot.do anything. One of my sons came home from Iraq disabled. He had a terrible pain in his ankle that the VA could not diagnose. At first they thought it was metal, but the the muscle started to atrophy, which is not a mental thing. He finally found a doctor who traced down the pain issue and performed a surgery. He remains 100 disabled and does fine now, no more pain pills. I still think it might be good to ask. You know, the VA is not always the best care.
Thanks for your concern, Dan. If nothing has changed by Dec, when my next orthopedic appt is scheduled, I'll tell them how dissatisfied I am, and ask for better care.

61 - 75 of 75 Posts