Sax on the Web Forum banner
41 - 60 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Th

Thank you, Brujo. I could use all the well wishes I can get, right about now. Last night, I fell asleep on the toilet and woke up half way, on my way to the floor. Landed square on my hands and knees. Thankfully, just a bit more sore than before, today. I must have some cat in me, afterall? (I used to specialize on Cat, when I busked on guitar and vocals).

Thanks George. I figure, falling off the toilet every few nights out to take the worry out of going too fast, trying to recover!
Good landing! If I did that I would almost certainly conk my noggin on the tub. Sounds like the Cat influence did you well!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Update......It wasn't such a smooth landing, despite not hitting my head......the results of a recent MRI show a fracture of the femoral condyles and a flattening of the involved articulating surfaces. I meet with an orthopedic doctor on Oct 4th (Our wonderfully speedy VA), but it looks to me like I'm headed for a knee replacement.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Otto Link STM NY 7
404 Posts
Update......It wasn't such a smooth landing, despite not hitting my head......the results of a recent MRI show a fracture of the femoral condyles and a flattening of the involved articulating surfaces. I meet with an orthopedic doctor on Oct 4th (Our wonderfully speedy VA), but it looks to me like I'm headed for a knee replacement.
Knee replacements are smooth surgeries. They have gotten good at it.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Knee replacements are smooth surgeries. They have gotten good at it.
For a time, I worked as an inspector for Johnson & Johnson Orthopedics. At the time, they were launching a new knee joint with the corresponding surgical tools. Scary stuff! I always said I hope I never need that operation!

·
Registered
404 Posts
For a time, I worked as an inspector for Johnson & Johnson Orthopedics. At the time, they were launching a new knee joint with the corresponding surgical tools. Scary stuff! I always said I hope I never need that operation!
I do have an unfortunate story. My mother in law was a large polish lady, and when she got her knee replaced, they got the wrong size. (Who knew they come in sizes?) Several weeks after the surgery, the knee broke! She had to go through it again. And she was a nurse! The doctor said he knew it was wrong, but she was already open! This was in the early 90s. As I said, she was a large lady.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
I do have an unfortunate story. My mother in law was a large polish lady, and when she got her knee replaced, they got the wrong size. (Who knew they come in sizes?) Several weeks after the surgery, the knee broke! She had to go through it again. And she was a nurse! The doctor said he knew it was wrong, but she was already open! This was in the early 90s. As I said, she was a large lady.
At J & J, part of the surgical kit is made up of what they call "trials." They are plastic pieces that simulate the femoral implant, and come in various sizes that the surgeon can swap out, during surgery, until he finds the right size. Guess she didn't get a J & J knee.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,884 Posts
You’ll be fine Darryle. Get it done. I have a friend that has had both his knees replaced. He had one comment. “ I waited 20 years too long to get it done“
He was 72 at the time of surgery. 83 now and still very active.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
You'll be fine Darryle. Get it done. I have a friend that has had both his knees replaced. He had one comment. " I waited 20 years too long to get it done"
He was 72 at the time of surgery. 83 now and still very active.
Thanks Squealer. That's what everyone seems to say. Maybe I can get a twofer, and get my hip done at the same time?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
They're not going to operate. They say it's not bad enough yet, although in the next breath he says my bone is in too bad a shape for a new knee to take. Figure that one out. I ended up getting a cortisone shot, which helped some, but didn't make me completely crutchless. I'm down to one crutch, for safety sake, which thankfully frees up one hand. Better than nothing. Yesterday I couldn't do any weight bearing with my left leg, today I can, limited though it may be.....it's progress.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Second opinion? Is this doctor OK with you?
I'm afraid I don't have a lot of choice. I'm in the Veterans Administration system, and he's the one they gave me. I could possibly bitch about the conflicting diagnoses, but I could lose more than I gain, by playing doctors against each other. Other than that one discrepancy, he seemed to know what he was talking about, and took the time to have more x-rays taken, to go over with me, as well as explaining the MRI pictures. No doctor's ever done that with me before. He listened to what I had to say, and I didn't get the feeling he was BSing me. I'm pretty sure another doctor would just back him up.

·
Registered
404 Posts
He sounds like he has your interest at heart. When it comes to medicine, and having been type 1 diabetic since I was 9 years old, I tend to be a little skeptical.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
The more inv
He sounds like he has your interest at heart. When it comes to medicine, and having been type 1 diabetic since I was 9 years old, I tend to be a little skeptical.
The more involved in medicine that my body is causing me to become, the less impressed I am with the approach a great many doctors take to their jobs. Practically no mention of nutrition, and more attention paid to handing out pills, as their "cure" to their patient's problems, especially where pain is concerned. They seem to have no concept of it, and how it affects a person's life, in a physically debilitating way.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,884 Posts
The more involved in medicine that my body is causing me to become, the less impressed I am with the approach a great many doctors take to their jobs. Practically no mention of nutrition, and more attention paid to handing out pills, as their "cure" to their patient's problems, especially where pain is concerned. They seem to have no concept of it, and how it affects a person's life, in a physically debilitating way.
Meds suck.
I've had the same experience. To the point of being referred to a physiologist because the meds didn't work. Changed doctor. Turned out to be food related issues. Complete histamine intolerance. I'm seeing a dietitian now. Food related histamine management is quite a art.

Have a knee brace ? Any PT available ? Anything the Sotw gang can do to help you out ?

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Meds suck.
I've had the same experience. To the point of being referred to a physiologist because the meds didn't work. Changed doctor. Turned out to be food related issues. Complete histamine intolerance. I'm seeing a dietitian now. Food related histamine management is quite a art.

Have a knee brace ? Any PT available ? Anything the Sotw gang can do to help you out ?
I have a few knee braces. The latest is hinged. It provides great support, but after wearing it for 3 hrs, I had to rip it off in the middle of a store, due to the pain it was causing. The hinge presses right against the focus of my tendon pain. Not good. All of my braces affect me that way.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
I have a few knee braces. The latest is hinged. It provides great support, but after wearing it for 3 hrs, I had to rip it off in the middle of a store, due to the pain it was causing. The hinge presses right against the focus of my tendon pain. Not good. All of my braces affect me that way.
Thanks Squealer, but I'll muddle through it. I may look into the Pain Management Dep't at the VA. Maybe they actually do something?

·
Registered
276 Posts
From the sound of it, you're beyond the point where nutrition can help your knee much. Unless it's an endocrine/metabolic problem good nutrition is often of more benefit preventing disease than treating it. A low inflammatory diet, plant-based is best, may help with arthritis. Getting adequate vitamin D is important for bone healing and maintenance. If you're over 60 you might need supplemental B12, 1000 mcg/daily is the usual amount. Many are deficient and don't know it. Many of my mysterious pains and ailments resolved with that.

Your experience with doctors reflects their training: lots of pharmacology and almost no nutrition. My nutrition knowledge was 99% self-taught and I was always the only one documenting nutrition advice in the clinics I worked at.

Given what sounds like the severity of your knee condition and your questions about the diagnosis/treatment plan I hope you have a follow-up scheduled. If the doctor's logic isn't making sense, tell them and ask for a better explanation. Don't let them run away until you have your questions answered. If you aren't improving and you continue to have questions about the diagnosis and treatment then it's time to see another doctor.

41 - 60 of 75 Posts