Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Otto Link STM NY 7
419 Posts
Right when I was starting to have a lot of fun with my new STM/Optimum setup, my left knee decides to go into major pain mode, just about completely incapacitating me. I went to my closest VA Urgent Care on Wed, and they were little help. Luckily, I've got some low end pain killers left over from a previous biking injury, that should offer more help than the 500mg Tylenols they prescribed. For two weeks it was fairly bearable, but not so much, anymore.
Is it an old injury or is it a cartilage/ joint issue?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Update......It wasn't such a smooth landing, despite not hitting my head......the results of a recent MRI show a fracture of the femoral condyles and a flattening of the involved articulating surfaces. I meet with an orthopedic doctor on Oct 4th (Our wonderfully speedy VA), but it looks to me like I'm headed for a knee replacement.
Knee replacements are smooth surgeries. They have gotten good at it.

·
Registered
419 Posts
For a time, I worked as an inspector for Johnson & Johnson Orthopedics. At the time, they were launching a new knee joint with the corresponding surgical tools. Scary stuff! I always said I hope I never need that operation!
I do have an unfortunate story. My mother in law was a large polish lady, and when she got her knee replaced, they got the wrong size. (Who knew they come in sizes?) Several weeks after the surgery, the knee broke! She had to go through it again. And she was a nurse! The doctor said he knew it was wrong, but she was already open! This was in the early 90s. As I said, she was a large lady.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Second opinion? Is this doctor OK with you?

·
Registered
419 Posts
He sounds like he has your interest at heart. When it comes to medicine, and having been type 1 diabetic since I was 9 years old, I tend to be a little skeptical.

·
Registered
419 Posts
My friend, it still bothers me that you have been told that they cannot.do anything. One of my sons came home from Iraq disabled. He had a terrible pain in his ankle that the VA could not diagnose. At first they thought it was metal, but the the muscle started to atrophy, which is not a mental thing. He finally found a doctor who traced down the pain issue and performed a surgery. He remains 100 disabled and does fine now, no more pain pills. I still think it might be good to ask. You know, the VA is not always the best care.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts