Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right when I was starting to have a lot of fun with my new STM/Optimum setup, my left knee decides to go into major pain mode, just about completely incapacitating me. I went to my closest VA Urgent Care on Wed, and they were little help. Luckily, I've got some low end pain killers left over from a previous biking injury, that should offer more help than the 500mg Tylenols they prescribed. For two weeks it was fairly bearable, but not so much, anymore.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,531 Posts
Yeah, pain sucks. Too bad, with the opiates "epidemic" a guy can't get a week's worth of Vicodin so easily anymore. The drug abusers have made life miserable for those of us in legitimate pain. /end rant

Get better. Use lots of ice to take down the inflammation. Maybe playing sax will help take your mind off it for a while. Sitting down, that is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,300 Posts
sorry to hear...I hate playing tenor sitting down...but for me, alto is ok to play sitting down.

Reactions: mmichel

·
Registered
Keilwerth saxes (S/A/T), Selmer clarinets (S/B), Altus Azumi flute
2,029 Posts
I hate playing tenor sitting down...but for me, alto is ok to play sitting down.
Same here, mostly because I started out as an alto player and play tenor out in front.

However, I've found using a (round) drum throne can be reasonably comfortable. Not quite as comfortable as standing, but much better than playing seated in a chair.

·
Registered
229 Posts
try alieve. best otc for moderate pain i have found. i trashed my hip at work and was able to keep working thanks to alieve
Same for me. I might take Extra Strengh Tylenol for a headache but for body pain I take Alieve.
I hope you can get the pain to a manageable level.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
29,606 Posts
Right when I was starting to have a lot of fun with my new STM/Optimum setup, my left knee decides to go into major pain mode, just about completely incapacitating me. I went to my closest VA Urgent Care on Wed, and they were little help. Luckily, I've got some low end pain killers left over from a previous biking injury, that should offer more help than the 500mg Tylenols they prescribed. For two weeks it was fairly bearable, but not so much, anymore.
Sorry you're incapacitated with pain.
I hate to take pills, especially if Tylenol 3 don't work..
Take it easy.

Anyhow, what kinda bike you ride/rode? :)

·
Registered
194 Posts
Ouch! I feel you. In just under three weeks my left knee gets a total replacement with new parts replacing the worn out ones. That will finish the knees. Still one hip to go. I'm fortunate, great surgeon and physical therapist. Hope you can find the same! Living in pain so bad you avoid walking makes life suck. Best of luck With it!

·
Registered
198 Posts
I got my hip replacement last May and that put a real dent in my practice routine, so I feel for you! A few people in the swing band I play with have various joint replacements and the resultant gymp, so we call ourselves the motorcycle crash survivors gang. Nobody crashed, but it sounds good. Hope you’re back on the bicycle soon.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Wishing you pain-free mobility, DarrellMass. I appreciate your sardonic wit & wouldn't want rebellious body parts to distract you. Feel better soon! (But go easy on the pain meds.)

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,597 Posts
Sending the vibes for your bum knee to mend soon.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Oh, man, that's a bummer. I hope this gets sorted out soon. I can empathize as I just had tennis elbow surgery on my right elbow two weeks ago. Pain is better, but no playing music for three whole months, while undergoing OT. I sincerely hope that you can find the relief you need.

·
Registered
Cannonball Vintage Reborn Tenor Sax with Otto Link STM NY 7
386 Posts
Is it an old injury or is it a cartilage/ joint issue?

·
Registered
28 Posts
Well I have my medical MJ license here in Florida and I am pain feee so nice not to have to do pain killers . Life is good
:)

·
Registered
3,161 Posts
Ugh, that's no fun. Meds are likely best, though depending on the source of the injury, some folks I know have had luck with natural anti-inflammatories like turmeric or cayenne, if you have any lying around. Whiskey can work wonders too.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,531 Posts
Well I have my medical MJ license here in Florida and I am pain feee so nice not to have to do pain killers . Life is good
:)
All cannabis did for my back pain was focus my mind on it like a laser. I wish it would work for me. So much less hassle than opiates.

I asked my doc about Voltaren. He says he likes it for knees, shoulders, elbows, etc. Not so much for deep back pain. You might want to give it a try. Be sure to read the warnings though. All drugs have their drawbacks and Voltaren can be a problem if you mix it with other NSAIDS.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well, I was taken by ambulance to a general hospital, here in town, and was treated by a very reassuring competent doctor, unlike the student doctors the VA had provided me.
The diagnosis, which the VA never did provide, is tendonitis. I was sent home with pain medication, and a walker, and I have help living across the street (a huge relief).
Yesterday, at this time of day, I was still crawling around on the floor unable to walk. I just woke up an hour ago, after sleeping for roughly 9 hours. Took some pain killer, had a protein shake, and am hobbling around with my walker, catching up on the world news. Things are looing up! Still a ways from picking up the horn, but it's not so far away as it looked, a day ago. What a difference a day makes!
Thanks for all the well wishes and good thoughts. It worked!

1 - 20 of 75 Posts