Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's some of the pieces we recorded live in the studio with a studio audience. Modeled loosely after Bob Reynold's Guitar Album. One of the most challenging performances of my life. One Take - No Edits. Good and Bad - it's in there.

Ballad "Friends in Belgium"

More Contemporary "Zero Gravity" This is the Title track of the latest CD

Bop-ish Tune "Post Republic Bop"

With our Singer "Who Will Comfort Me" - She's great and easy on the eyes.

Love to hear positive comments. Negative ones not so much. :)

·
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Is this showing up in the Threads? No comments are rare.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Here's some of the pieces we recorded live in the studio with a studio audience. Modeled loosely after Bob Reynold's Guitar Album. One of the most challenging performances of my life. One Take - No Edits. Good and Bad - it's in there.

Ballad "Friends in Belgium"

More Contemporary "Zero Gravity" This is the Title track of the latest CD

Bop-ish Tune "Post Republic Bop"

With our Singer "Who Will Comfort Me" - She's great and easy on the eyes.

Love to hear positive comments. Negative ones not so much. :)
Wow!!!! It sounds great Tony. I have not heard you in quite a few years now. I really like how you play! The group and singer are fantastic. Nice choice of tunes. I also particularly like the choice of having a guitarist instead of a piano player. The group sound has a very nice transparency that comes from working with a guitar player. Is everybody from Syracuse?

·
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wow!!!! It sounds great Tony. I have not heard you in quite a few years now. I really like how you play! The group and singer are fantastic. Nice choice of tunes. I also particularly like the choice of having a guitarist instead of a piano player. The group sound has a very nice transparency that comes from working with a guitar player. Is everybody from Syracuse?
Everyone is from Syracuse. The Guitar and Bass player have had the group for 20+ years kicking around with different horn players and singers. I've been a sub for them on and off but the past year have been more of a regular.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts
Very nice,Tony.
Love your tone.
Are you still on the Tenney Slant here?

Kinda reminds me of a Yellowjackets thing.

·
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Very nice,Tony.
Love your tone.
Are you still on the Tenney Slant here?

Kinda reminds me of a Yellowjackets thing.
I switched from my original Tenney Slant Marked 7 but measured more like a 6* about a year ago to my Back-Up Tenney Slant marked 7 but measures more like a large 8. At some point, someone tampered with these pieces but still my favorite Slant type pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,406 Posts
Friends In Belgium,,loved your sound Tony,and playing of course!!
What a great band !
Thanks for sharing.
Regards
Mario

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
41,595 Posts
great videos and great saxophone (and others too) sound

·
Banned
2,814 Posts
Great stuff, Tony! Seriously.......you (and everyone else) sound great. Well recorded, both audio and video. Kudo's on that as well!
Gotta say, I didn't know James Comey plays drums. Bwahahaha!!!

J.

·
2,355 Posts
Really, really nice. I enjoyed that... everybody sounds great individually and also play together as a group very well.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,011 Posts
Wow wonderful playing...more pls 😁

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Love your sound! Really effective volume control, and your horn sounds nice and clean. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
I switched from my original Tenney Slant Marked 7 but measured more like a 6* about a year ago to my Back-Up Tenney Slant marked 7 but measures more like a large 8. At some point, someone tampered with these pieces but still my favorite Slant type pieces.
Just curious, are you guessing that these have been tampered with or do you actually know that? I'm only asking because I'm under the impression that Doc's pieces tended to measure small - not sure how this explains the one measuring closer to an 8 though...

·
5,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just curious, are you guessing that these have been tampered with or do you actually know that? I'm only asking because I'm under the impression that Doc's pieces tended to measure small - not sure how this explains the one measuring closer to an 8 though...
I have 3 all marked 7 but measure differently.

.096 Definitely altered - Terrible facing but I loved playing on it for years.

.100 Likely original (Back-up at the moment)

.112 My new main piece - awesome facing may have been reworked by Tenney or one of his protégés.

They all play very similar. What I think makes these pieces is the baffle and chambers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts