Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just found this Buescher ad on eBay, listed as "Seller refurbished". I must say the "tech" did an amazing job... messing up the horn like this. Don't know what's going on in this picture. Don't want to know either. I feel sorry for the horn (even though it's a c-mel).
Link to ad. Viewers discretion is advised.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,768 Posts
That thing has four bids and currently @ $375 USD. The repair doesn’t look bad. Just needs a little paint and maybe some Bondo🤣

·
1,487 Posts
Might not have been the most immediate tech that did that. That solder to me looks decades old, complete with corrosion of the silver plate around it.

·
Registered
1996 Selmer SA80 2 tenor,
92 Posts
Stop me if I am wrong, but aren't low pitch Buescher saxophones Bb? High pitch being C?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Stop me if I am wrong, but aren't low pitch Buescher saxophones Bb? High pitch being C?
Low pitch and high pitch are not the same thing as Bb and C horns. Bb and Eb saxophones were both made in high pitch during one time period. Still in the key of Bb and Eb but tuned to a reference pitch higher than A=440 (A=457 I think - so it's not even a half tone sharp -- a half tone sharp would be A=466 -- so high pitch instruments are a bit more than 1/4 tone sharp, hmmm .3148/1 or about 1/3 of a tone sharp)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Eww, it looks like something could crawl out of that black murkiness and grab you while practicing, like a scene out of the movie Aliens

Organism Sculpture Darkness Wood Metal

·
Registered
180 Posts
A little touch with the bench grinder will fix that. And you can never have too much solder on the job.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,720 Posts
A little touch with the bench grinder will fix that. And you can never have too much solder on the job.
You misspelled "blob".

Reactions: Cjames

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,250 Posts
Agreed it's C melody but I'd give it a D-
That's what I thought. That they put an extension up top to make a C melody a tenor. But it does have the "spoon" alternate F#, rather than the one that works to the side around the thumb hook. Absent a later model, that would make it a tenor. But as it's an early one... really early... not sure that would be indicative on its own. But it looks like the F side tone hole is right up against where the neck receiver once was... which brings me back to C melody.

·
1,910 Posts
To me using the word “refurbished” in a horn description waves a warning flag that the seller maybe doesn’t know anything about horns in general. I don’t know any brass or woodwind players who talk about having a horn “refurbished”. It ain’t furniture.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts