Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2017
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not only is it turning green from tarnish, but I've developed a callus and it kinda hurts....The right one.

What's the "quick fix"? I think my new (old) Conn Chu is the culprit.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Rotate the wrist a little more down.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
I guess dont play so much.....or you could try one of those fancy thumb hooks from (dare i mention his name on sotw) Steve Goodson, or i'm pretty certain i've seen some others somewere but cant remember were, or if you dont want to muck the thing up try one of those leather thumb protectors.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,209 Posts
I'm sorry your thumb has a green booboo. You want I should kiss it and make it fall off?

There are these little rubber cushions for thumb rests that work pretty well. I think they're called 'Thumb-Eeze'.
The last I knew they were only a couple of bucks or so, and most local shops carry them.
One of those might help a little. If i remember correctly, the ones for clarinet will work if you can't find one for sax.
Otherwise you could try gluing a piece of cork or something similar under there.

The only other suggestion is to have the thumb hook put in a more comfortable spot. Not cheap, but maybe worth it in the long run if you plan on keeping the Chu.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2014
26,341 Posts
Not only is it turning green from tarnish, but I've developed a callus and it kinda hurts....The right one.

Don't they make thumb pads; maybe a couple of bandaids will help?

Or, you could get yourself a MKVI with adjustable thumbrest and plastic cover. :)

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Hey Fader, the green will wash right off your thumb, so maybe some soap and water to take care of that. I've had a callus on my thumb where it hits the thumbrest for as long as I can remember. That's no problem at all; it's your body protecting itself. I have another callus close by where I hold a kayak paddle.

A couple of years back I did develop some mild tendonitis in my thumb, which surprised me because in all the years I've played that never happened. I actually got a Fonza custom thumbrest for my MKVI which is very comfortable. The tendenitis eventually went away, but I don't know if it had anything to do with the thumbrest. Be sure to let the neck strap take most of the pressure (until your neck starts to hurt :) ).

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
When I play a lot of alto along with tenor my thumb bump gets even bigger. My alto thumb rest hits in a little different spot so I have two bumbs merging into one big ugly thumb.
Maybe two big and ugly-looking bumps in one's thumb will get us faster and closer to fame, if we catch the attention of some sensationalist TV channel, than decades of hopeless practice :)

·
Registered
4,140 Posts

Try changing your posture to take the weight of the horn off your thumb. ( Easier said than done by the way. Old habits are hard to break. )

Check out the link below below by lhoffman.

He nailed it.

·
Registered
8,029 Posts
A I actually got a Fonza custom thumbrest for my MKVI which is very comfortable.
Old Conns have a fixed thumb hook and the neck strap ring and curve of the neck are positioned so that if you let go of the horn you would probably put your eye out.
You might want re-position the strap hook ring and put some rubber or plastic tubing on the thumb hook or play sitting down like those old horns seemed to be designed for.

·
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the input. Shortly after posting, I was feeding the fish (we have an aquarium) and noticed the clear plastic tubing that carries the air. A quick trip to the garage and I found the surplus of which I put an inch or so of to use. Problem hopefully solved. I read the posts, and there was a lot of good advice but some of it just doesn't apply. I play standing, leaning, on bar tops, lying down, jumping up and down and would do so on my head if I could figure out how. I never practice or record long enough to grow uncomfortable. I just stop. It's the dang live shows that aggravate the condition. I hope the tubing will do it. Thanks again.

Of course a kiss on the "boo-boo" is always a wise prescription but I'm thinking I should explore that whole "soap" thing someone mentioned first perhaps. (what with the green thumb and all) ;)

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2012-2015
5,878 Posts
I actually got a Fonza custom thumbrest for my MKVI which is very comfortable.
Is your Fonza the Forza?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts
Thanks for all the input. Shortly after posting, I was feeding the fish (we have an aquarium) and noticed the clear plastic tubing that carries the air. A quick trip to the garage and I found the surplus of which I put an inch or so of to use. Problem hopefully solved. I read the posts, and there was a lot of good advice but some of it just doesn't apply. I play standing, leaning, on bar tops, lying down, jumping up and down and would do so on my head if I could figure out how. I never practice or record long enough to grow uncomfortable. I just stop. It's the dang live shows that aggravate the condition. I hope the tubing will do it. Thanks again.

Of course a kiss on the "boo-boo" is always a wise prescription but I'm thinking I should explore that whole "soap" thing someone mentioned first perhaps. (what with the green thumb and all) ;)
Did I miss you telling us what exactly you did with that tubing? I have a lot of it but I can't fathom how it could make my right thumb more comfortable.

·
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Slipped it over the thumbrest and trimmed it up. It's a bit squishy, extends the length of the thumbrest just a tad (but enough) and seems to make a difference. At the minimum it'll stop the green thumb thingy.

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
Get some Sugru and mod yourself a customized soft silicone thumbhook like the one in Stephen Howards tutorial on using it. I modded my Conn straight soprano torture thumbring with it and made myself some nice palm-key risers for my Martin tenor, so I can vouch for the stuff.

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/HandyHints/key_risers.htm

·
Forum Contributor 2017
7,488 Posts
Lose the thumb hook, cut off your thumb and play without either. Makes everything else in life more difficult but hey its all about the music right!?

B

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
Is your Fonza the Forza?
Maybe, probably. I couldn't remember what it was called, and then 'Fonza' came to my mind..... But it's something like that.

Curiously enough, while this was going on, I played my Buescher and the thumb rest on it (welded on) is very comfortable.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts