Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2010 & Distinguished SOTW Member
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Crap.

Last night I was playing in a rehearsal of "How to Succeed..." and on a quick instrument change hurt myself.

I had my alto hooked around my neck while I was playing clarinet. The last note before the clarinet change to alto was a three finger c, so I started to lower the clarinet to the peg playing one handed while I steadied my alto with my right. All was going well until I caught the edge of the bell on the peg and chipped off part of my top left front tooth. Damn. I can't get a dentist appointment until Thursday (maybe) and I've got another rehearsal Wednesday night. It is pretty uncomfortable to play.

Any suggestions? Other than don't bump your clarinet into the peg while lowering it onto the stand!)

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
qwerty said:
Crap.

Last night I was playing in a rehearsal of "How to Succeed..." and on a quick instrument change hurt myself.

I had my alto hooked around my neck while I was playing clarinet. The last note before the clarinet change to alto was a three finger c, so I started to lower the clarinet to the peg playing one handed while I steadied my alto with my right. All was going well until I caught the edge of the bell on the peg and chipped off part of my top left front tooth. Damn. I can't get a dentist appointment until Thursday (maybe) and I've got another rehearsal Wednesday night. It is pretty uncomfortable to play.

Any suggestions? Other than don't bump your clarinet into the peg while lowering it onto the stand!)

Steve
I would either load up on vicodin for the rehearsal or just take the night off.:D

·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Vicodin might help me deal with the &*&**(*&^%&^ condouctor too.

Actually Carl, I'll try the dental wax tonight when I practice...

Steve

·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Gandalfe said:
while you were describing the move I was thinking, hey, that takes a lot of coordination. :cool:
Well, if you knew me, you know why I couldn't pull it off!

Steve

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
2,063 Posts
Finnerski said:
I would either load up on vicodin for the rehearsal or just take the night off.:D
Better yet, just get totally loaded and take the night off! Sounds like you need a break from the conductor anyway!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,047 Posts
Finnerski said:
Better yet, just get totally loaded and take the night off! Sounds like you need a break from the conductor anyway!

Go to rehearsal. Do the wax and take some advil. Sit out the "section" stuff and listen for doubled parts to see where you could sit out if needed when the show is running. Play what you feel are the exposed parts, but stop if you feel the broken tooth cutting or making anything raw. Spend the night in the pit, get the check and listen to what else is going on (watch stage action when you are sitting out).

You also could just sit there and stare at the conductor like a zombie all night too!:twisted:

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
qwerty said:
Well, if you knew me, you know why I couldn't pull it off!

Steve
But,

You've those cool, clear eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth,
and that upturned chin and a grin of impetuous youth...
I believe in you...;)

Ouch, sorry you got injured. Hope it's not too painful to play.

·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hakukani said:
But,

You've those cool, clear eyes of a seeker of wisdom and truth,
and that upturned chin and a grin of impetuous youth...
I believe in you...;)

Ouch, sorry you got injured. Hope it's not too painful to play.
Dude... reading that hurt more than the chipped tooth!

UGGGHHH!

Steve

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
qwerty said:
Dude... reading that hurt more than the chipped tooth!

UGGGHHH!

Steve
I've been trying to forget that tune for 20 years...:D;)

·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Carl H. said:
qwerty, does your new avatar mean you are ducked?
No Carl...my new avatar is the new friend I made last Monday after the deluge we had here in the Northeast. My backyard looked more like a pond. It looks like a backyard again and my friend has vanished.

Just ducky. :evil:

Steve

·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
hakukani said:
I've been trying to forget that tune for 20 years...:D;)

Amazing how such a forgettable show has so many insidious tunes that JUST Won't go
AWAY!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,047 Posts
qwerty said:
Amazing how such a forgettable show has so many insidious tunes that JUST Won't go
AWAY!!!
I don't know the tune, so which show do I need to avoid?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,208 Posts
Carl H. said:
I don't know the tune, so which show do I need to avoid?
How to Succeed in Business (without really trying).

---the show he was rehearsing.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I just finished a run of Reed 1 in H2$. Last year was Reed 5. Reed 5 is actually easier to deal with, methinks, in terms of changes. It was also hard to keep a straight face for the alto solo marked 'a la Dick Stabile'. And all the piccolo work is just torture.

·
2,945 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
danarsenault said:
I just finished a run of Reed 1 in H2$. Last year was Reed 5. Reed 5 is actually easier to deal with, methinks, in terms of changes. It was also hard to keep a straight face for the alto solo marked 'a la Dick Stabile'. And all the piccolo work is just torture.
Dan:

Were doing the alternate orchestration... there are only 4 reed books. I am playing reed 3..flute, eflat clar, clar, bass clar, alto. I am envious of the reed 4 guy only having to play bari, bass clar and clarinet....

Some of my horn changes are hellacious. and having that flute sit on the peg for over an hour while I squeeze out altissimo g's on the eefer, and then have to quickly switch to flute and make it sound passable is a treat!

Played a bit tonight with waves of discomfort...it's unpredictable when it comes and goes and is really unpleasant, but manageable. I think i'll take Carl's advice and "pick my spots". Tomorrow night's rehearsal will be a challenge...still no word from my dentist on fitting me in...:(

Steve

1 - 20 of 22 Posts