1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,347 Posts
I imagine a good sum of cash went into putting out this model. For the most part it has not been well received for the reasons you state. With some tweaks it can be reasonable. Im not sure what they were thinking. If they just watched Fleabay they would have realized that they needed to reissue the Florida chamber.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Nice write up, thanks for sharing. I'll be looking forward to the next one....

It seems the inability of Link to get a consistently GREAT mouthpiece out there has led to Phil Tone, Drake, and others coming to market with new high quality alternatives inspired by some of the classics. And of course, all the mouthpiece transactions occurring on the secondary market.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,781 Posts
Yeah you'd think whoever makes these decisions @ Babbitt would've been canned by now. Clueless.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
4,466 Posts
I have one of these that I got from sotw member Magical Pig. He'd had it worked on by Matt Voss. It really is a pleasure to play and is a fantastic match on one of my VI tenors. One of the best things Matt V did to this piece was to lengthen the lay so that now it actually plays more like an original Tonemaster. It actually sounds like an original TM as well. I played an original for about 5-6 years when I first started on tenor in the 1950's. To answer your question Grumps no there is no "*****" there. Even though this current one has been slightly modified all that hasn't been touched looks like very acceptable manufacture.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've played on a TM before as well as a vintage piece that was basically the same design, and they both sounded fairly similar to Otto Link's remake.

Thomas, when I played it I felt like had a longer facing curve than a modern link, but it didn't feel like a really long facing curve typical of those vintage pieces. If you could post a playing clip of the modified facing curve, that would be interesting to hear.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts