Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an Otto Link Tone Edge 6* Soprano mouthpiece that the table is no flat ( as can be seen in the enclosed picture).
Do I need to flatten the table to improve it ?
( The picture was taken putting the mouthpiece over a piece of glass and adding some water over the table and the facing curve )

Attachments

·
Registered
‘38 Buescher AristoTenor, ‘66 Martin Magna Tenor
98 Posts
I guess the question is whether there is a problem with the piece and if you feel that it is holding back your playing.

The good news is that the facing length looks fairly even so my guess is that it plays relatively well (assuming rest of facing has no problems) as long as the ligature rides relatively high. If it has problems playing with the lig riding lower, then maybe it needs work.

However, since the low spot is toward the bottom of the table, you would need to remove material from the upper part which will impact the facing as well as the tip opening and you are most likely looking at a full refacing anyways. If you read the posts on this forum, refacing can be a double-edged sword. If you like the piece, better not to mess with it. If it is defective, then a refacing will definitely improve it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,702 Posts
Unless you are quite good at refacing do not consider touching that piece. The smaller the horn, the less tolerant. It is extremely likely that it wont play after you flatten it. Ive seen a lot of bad sop work…even by guys with substantial names. A lot of guys play bad sop pieces and dont know it…they just struggle, so leave it alone unless you have good skills, a table of good curves, and good tools.

Btw..refarding the earlier reply, a wet piece of glass does not accurately measure if the facing is even or not. If it did I can see its at least a mm off. That is a galactic difference on a sop piece…but its not an accurate way to determinea facing.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
Isn’t the table on Links concave like this one by design?

·
13,702 Posts
They are concate because they use old milling style machines. There is no purpose for the degree in which they are concave. That does not mean it cant play well. If the moisture can be counted at any accuracy…a straight edge is better…it seems the table is flat in the front thus permitting a seal. the rest matters but not as much. Either forget it and play it or have it fixed.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have an Otto Link Tone Edge 6* Soprano mouthpiece that the table is no flat ( as can be seen in the enclosed picture).
Do I need to flatten the table to improve it ?
( The picture was taken putting the mouthpiece over a piece of glass and addind some water over the table and the facing curve )
another picture :

Attachments

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
what if ….. instead of flattening the table, it is filled the void area with some epoxy resin ?

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
how tight must the ligature be to make the cane do a good sealing with this concave table ?

·
13,702 Posts
You cant fill it flat enough. Additive processes are extremely difficult. Heck 3d printers cant get it right. What you propose is going to make a doorstop.

You have not mentioned how it plays. If it is fine then play it. If you cant deal with a table as is then get it professionally fixed. People get sometimes lucky messing with their tenor pieces. You are not going to get lucky jacking around with a sop piece. Soprano work is very demanding. I do it but its not nearly as much fun as tenor and alto.

As for your lig question...not extremely. Generally the concave area is behind the facing. It matters some but its not life or death.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
…it seems the table is flat in the front thus permitting a seal. the rest matters but not as much. Either forget it and play it or have it fixed.
Thanks Phil. I was going to make this comment too. With pressure from the ligature the sealing area will only increase. Best advice is, if it plays well, just play it!

·
Forum Contributor 2014-2015
1,115 Posts
Phil’s 100% correct and is being very professional in his responses. The captioned area doesn’t matter all that much. Leave it alone and just play the piece or send it for a reface to Phil or Mojo or whomever.

·
Registered
272 Posts
++ sending piece to Phil or Mojo for re-work.

I have an Otto Link Tone Edge 5* new vintage line tenor that I never like, until Mojo refaced it for me last month and it is totally transformed it into a great piece and it now becomes my main piece for tenor. Check his website and I think he offers a discount for soprano piece.

·
Registered
SATB
503 Posts
It is perfectly normal to have a concavity on the table. If it plays ok just leave it alone. I’ve seen many pieces that were attempted to make the table flat became convex which can create more problems. Of course an excessive concavity can be corrected. I learned a technique to revised that won’t heavily modify the mpc.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
How does it play? That is the question. Are you looking to fix a problem you don't have? What if your "fix" completely ruins the mouthpiece? If it plays fine then just use it and don't worry about the table.

·
Registered
3,786 Posts
Every Otto Link tone edge piece I've seen has this. It is normal (for Babbitt). The real issue is whether the concave section extends to the window; some of them do. Your first picture seems to indicate that a good hunk of the table below the window is OK, in which case I agree with the others that if it plays OK as is, don't mess with it.

Will the piece play better if the table is flat? Yes. Will the facing curve have to be recut after flattening the table? Yes again. Should you attempt it yourself? Probably not.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
35,460 Posts
how tight must the ligature be to make the cane do a good sealing with this concave table ?
It does not need to be tightened to form a good seal.

·
Registered
Selmer MarkVII Tenor
863 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
The table is concave. But the Reed seals well at the bottom of the window. I feel the mouthpiece just a Little resistan but It looks that it plays well. I am making a Recording to post here.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts
The table in cónclave. But the Reed seals well at the bottom of the window. I feel the mouthpiece just a Little resistan but It looks that it plays well. I am making a Recording to post here.
Personally, I can't easily differentiate a leaky mouthpiece versus a warped reed versus a leaky horn versus a bad ligature versus a bad embouchure versus poor air support by sound. So I don't think a recording will tell us much. If it feels much more resistant than another mouthpiece, then I suppose the table might be a contributor. But as others have said, the table is flat enough to seal, so it should be fine. There are so many variables that effect resistance, you'd have to give every aspect a very thorough going over.

I recently tried a "Bari" brand soprano mouthpiece which most players consider very good. The facing was perfect and the table was flat, yet it was much, much more resistant than my old mouthpiece. So resistance can be more even if there's nothing wrong. It's just inherent in certain designs. The pop test is probably the simplest way to tell if the table is causing any problems.

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
2,050 Posts
If everything is good with the mouthpiece and it is resistant it is the baffle that needs to be addressed. A concave table is not the worst of the features on an Otto Link in general. I would leave the table alone. This is not a do-it-at-home project as you would certainly end up much worse than it is.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts