Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I am looking for a recommendation on the size of Otto Link Super Tone Tenor Mouthpiece I should consider playing/buying online.

My current MP setup is an Otto Link Vintage Rubber size 6* (0.095" tip opening) (J.J. Babbitt), and a 3 Rico Hemke (French cut) reed.

Thank you.

Ross

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
What do you like or dislike about your current setup? What are looking for in the STM?
Hard to advise when you provide no info on what you’re searching for.
Is it the feel/size of rubber? Sound quality? Projection? Tone? Wanting to experiment something new?

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Guto,

I'm looking for a different sound quality, tone compared to the OLV HR... which I rather like, but I'm interested in a change up, experimenting with something new. I know I don't like a bright sound.

So what size in the Otto Link Super Tone would yo recommend? Should I stick with the same tip opening 6* I use in the HR or drop down to a 6 in the Otto Link Super Tone?

Ross

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I recommend you stick with 6*. No reason to change that. Metal pieces feel quite different to play. Experience one change at a time.
The current production STM comes in various models. Search other threads here that discuss their characteristics. Babbitt's website talks about their differences as well.
I have a FL which I like a lot. Its facing has been 'cleaned up' after purchase, but that is a whole new topic for once you settle on your choice.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have tried other reeds in the past. I like the sound from the combination of my MP (Otto Link Vintage Rubber size 6*) and reed (33 Rico Hemke). However, I'm open to a suggestion.

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
I would stick with a 6* or maybe try a 7/7* with a slightly lighter reed.

The regular STM is normally a bit brighter compared to the current NY STM. The new FL copy STM is brighter than the regular STM, the new vintage Tone Master is darker than the NY STM.

Experiment also with reeds, they can make a big difference in brightness too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Based on some of the feedback I am receinvg, I beginning to think that since I don't like a bright sound perhaps I should just stay away from the STM and stick with my OLV HR?

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Based on some of the feedback I am receinvg, I beginning to think that since I don't like a bright sound perhaps I should just stay away from the STM and stick with my OLV HR?
I don't know of an OLV HR model. If you are now playing a real vintage Otto Link Tone Edge (EB or before, so older than 1980) or a New Vintage Slant Tone Edge (the modern remake), than you could try to the STM or STM NY modern metal pieces.

If you are now playing a modern (after 1980) Tone Edge you will find the current STM's to be brighter.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Pete,

Yes I am playing an Otto Link Vintage Tone Edge Eburnated Hard Rubber Mouthpiece Facing Number 6* I purchased new in 2011. So I think I will stick with this MP and not bother with the STM.

I found recently adding the Vandoren Optimum Sax Tenor Ebonite LC08P Gold Finished Ligature has improved my sound, and as I said before I think the Rico Hemke #3 reeds give me a nice full dark sound.

But I am open to any suggestions for improvements to my sound. I just know I don't like bright.

Ross

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
Hi Pete,

Yes I am playing an Otto Link Vintage Tone Edge Eburnated Hard Rubber Mouthpiece Facing Number 6* I purchased new in 2011. So I think I will stick with this MP and not bother with the STM.

I found recently adding the Vandoren Optimum Sax Tenor Ebonite LC08P Gold Finished Ligature has improved my sound, and as I said before I think the Rico Hemke #3 reeds give me a nice full dark sound.

But I am open to any suggestions for improvements to my sound. I just know I don't like bright.

Ross
Hi Ross,

Indeed changing reeds is the cheapest and easiest method if you want to change something in your sound. I have played many years La Voz medium on big tip Link's, but I wanted to get darker in sound too. Rico Royal and even Plasticover reeds got me into that direction, but another thing is also the way you blow. With lower air stream and more control you can get darker too.

I have a big collection of Otto Link mouthpieces (just for fun, I almost always play the same setup outside) and did in the past many compare clips. Here are three clips to compare the sound of my HR New Vintage Tone Edge 7* (I think that's the same model you have), metal STM 7* (80's) and metal STM NY 9* (90's, refaced from a 7), all played with a La Medium reed. I normally play 10*, so playing a 7* with the same reed size is a bit of challenge. By the way, going to a bigger tip can also give you darker sound (for the same chamber type that is). Anyway, here are some example clips:

1. - 'Honky Tonk' (NVS Tone Edge 7* - La Voz medium):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13230666

2. - 'Body And Soul' (STM 7* - La Voz medium):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13371211

3. - 'In Walked Bud' (STM NY 9* - La Voz medium):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13557383

As you can here STM's can sound dark too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi Ross,

Indeed changing reeds is the cheapest and easiest method if you want to change something in your sound. I have played many years La Voz medium on big tip Link's, but I wanted to get darker in sound too. Rico Royal and even Plasticover reeds got me into that direction, but another thing is also the way you blow. With lower air stream and more control you can get darker too.

I have a big collection of Otto Link mouthpieces (just for fun, I almost always play the same setup outside) and did in the past many compare clips. Here are three clips to compare the sound of my HR New Vintage Tone Edge 7* (I think that's the same model you have), metal STM 7* (80's) and metal STM NY 9* (90's, refaced from a 7), all played with a La Medium reed. I normally play 10*, so playing a 7* with the same reed size is a bit of challenge. By the way, going to a bigger tip can also give you darker sound (for the same chamber type that is). Anyway, here are some example clips:

1. - 'Honky Tonk' (NVS Tone Edge 7* - La Voz medium):
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13230666

2. - 'Body And Soul' (STM 7* - La Voz medium):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13371211

3. - 'In Walked Bud' (STM NY 9* - La Voz medium):
https://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=13557383

As you can here STM's can sound dark too.
Hi Pete,
Thanks for the clips. I think I should visit some local music stores and play test some STMs and HR with a bigger opening. Before considering any purchases online of used MPs.

I notice your MP setup always use the same reed. Is this standard practice because it's easier to the the difference in sound when yuo only change one variable at a time?

·
Administrator
17,262 Posts
I notice your MP setup always use the same reed. Is this standard practice because it's easier to the the difference in sound when yuo only change one variable at a time?
For making compare clips it's indeed better to use the same reed (strength and brand), as long as the tip openings comparing are not too far apart. Convenient for me is also that I don't have harder reeds in the house (except La Voz medium hard, but they are for me only useful on very small tip openings like 4 or 5).

For getting the best out of mouthpiece it's not good to use the same reed. In the end each mouthpiece will perform the best (for you) with a certain reed brand/strength. My Florida no USA 10* for instances likes Plasticover reeds, my Florida USA 11* likes them less!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
1,564 Posts
Is it true that Tenor Madness sells new STMs and for a little more money Jimmy Jensen will make sure the facing and table are to proper specs?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts