Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ok, so I found this Tenor mouthpiece while cleaning up my attic. I know for sure it is at least an Otto Link "Super" Tone Master, but my friend thinks it may be one of the "Super" Tone Masters made in Florida (Which are exceptionally more valuable). I need help finding the differences between the two so I know exactly what I found. It's about a $300 - $600 difference between the two, depending on year and model.

Photos are attached:

PLEASE HELP

Attachments

3,315 Posts
Ok, so I found this Tenor mouthpiece while cleaning up my attic. I know for sure it is at least an Otto Link "Super" Tone Master, but my friend thinks it may be one of the "Super" Tone Masters made in Florida (Which are exceptionally more valuable). I need help finding the differences between the two so I know exactly what I found. It's about a $300 - $600 difference between the two, depending on year and model.

Photos are attached:

PLEASE HELP
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it worth about $150 on Fleebay? Good luck getting the figures you've mentioned. I have never seen one fetch that sort of $$$

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't it worth about $150 on Fleebay? Good luck getting the figures you've mentioned. I have never seen one fetch that sort of $$$
Almost any brand new Otto Link goes for around $200. And my question is not the price, it is to tell whether my mouthpiece was made when Otto Link moved to Florida which would make the already expensive mouth piece a whole lot more valuable.

·
Registered
Selmer Balanced Action Tenor Saxophone, Powell Flute
3,664 Posts
It's a 1980's model, not the long body version. Good pieces for what they are. It's a 7 tip which is fairly desirable. You may get $175 - $225 depending on how you market it and who wants it. If it was a 7* it'd be on the higher end of the spectrum. Good luck.

P.S. Florida Links / Early Babbitts and other vintage STM's have the tip opening stamped on the side. That's how you can tell. Stamp on the shank is a current production.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Not only that but the Florida Links and these current production type's play/sound nothing like one another!...The Florida Links/EB's are the best in the world, nothing beats their sound, nothing compares to them!

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
HeyJoe, that's your opinion. But try telling that to a "Very Vintage" Berg Larsen stainless steel fan and see what reply you get.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,648 Posts
Not only that but the Florida Links and these current production type's play/sound nothing like one another!...The Florida Links/EB's are the best in the world, nothing beats their sound, nothing compares to them!
I have a Mark Spencer mouthpiece here that I would put up against any Florida piece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,648 Posts
yes......whats written on the side....?...size wise....
cheers,philip
No size on the side.
Just Mark Spencer around the shank.
This is one of his early silverplated bronze pieces.
Similar to the Model A I think, decent step baffle with a lake in the centre.
Huge Chamber.
Tip measures around .123 or so.

3,315 Posts
No size on the side.
Just Mark Spencer around the shank.
This is one of his early silverplated bronze pieces.
Similar to the Model A I think, decent step baffle with a lake in the centre.
Huge Chamber.
Tip measures around .123 or so.
when's it up for sale? L0L

ps

every things got a price!

Look at the price ofd this STM Link, that tells a little bit about what ya can get one for, bargain. No where near the ops gestimation!

·
Premium Member
18,634 Posts

Photos are attached:

PLEASE HELP
As mentioned by others your piece is not a Florida. It's a very early 80's modern STM, probably one of the first. You can see that on the size of the last section of the shank (where the 7 stamp is on), it's a bit longer (like on the Early Babbitt blanks) then on the normal modern STM's (but furthermore it looks exactly like a modern STM). So that doesn't make it more valuable than any other current STM, I guess you should be happy getting anything between 150-200 USD.

Check this picture for more details on the size of the last section of the shank:
Test tube Product Tool Font Material property

There is an STM Dating chart floating around that can tell you when and where you STM came from.. I lost the link but maybe someone can direct you to it..
I started a while ago with updates on the original chart because it contains some errors. See this thread:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...etal-quot-Otto-Link-Identification-quot-chart

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.