Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always been under the impression that the current production Otto Link STMs were a large chamber mouthpiece. I recently ran my little finger in through the tip of one and down into the throat. I was surprised by how tight it felt. So do current production Links have chambers that are smaller than vintage ones, or did the vintage ones have less than large chambers?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,711 Posts
Dont laugh..its not all about size.

I dont know exact chamber volumes but a big difference is modern links have a lower floor. This impacts projection and clarity to varied degree in comparison to a florida chamber.

·
Registered
8,034 Posts
Your finger probably can’t reach the place in question.
From my experience, any Link after an Early Babbitt has too low a floor to not be tubby.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I've always been under the impression that the current production Otto Link STMs were a large chamber mouthpiece. I recently ran my little finger in through the tip of one and down into the throat. I was surprised by how tight it felt. So do current production Links have chambers that are smaller than vintage ones, or did the vintage ones have less than large chambers?
Carr, yes, the new Link Super Tonemasters have slightly smaller chambers than the older ones making them less easy to play and darker. However, they can be made to play fantastic in a short time, even better than an old one. I've been working on Links for thirty-five years and they can all be made to play great even without a baffle added and for not of lot of money too. I no longer do this kind of work but there is one good guy that I know of, I recommend Keith Bradbury aka Mojo. Now I don't know if he does the job that I used to do but I'm sure that I could walk him through it if you decided to pursue this. Good luck, Phil Barone

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
But I thought smaller chambers make for a brighter sound.

Thanks all, for the input!

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
Carr, yes, the new Link Super Tonemasters have slightly smaller chambers than the older ones making them less easy to play and darker. However, they can be made to play fantastic in a short time, even better than an old one. I've been working on Links for thirty-five years and they can all be made to play great even without a baffle added and for not of lot of money too. I no longer do this kind of work but there is one good guy that I know of, I recommend Keith Bradbury aka Mojo. Now I don't know if he does the job that I used to do but I'm sure that I could walk him through it if you decided to pursue this. Good luck, Phil Barone
It's not that simple, there's other factors involved like the height of the baffle, the angle of the table and the facing length and the reed. Mouthpieces with bigger chambers are more free-blowing and can take more air thus can be brighter if the baffle is high but that doesn't necessarily mean they're louder. A Dukoff with a D chamber is very bright but isn't terrible free-blowing but it's also a matter of perception and most importantly the reed. It's very complicated. Phil Barone

·
Registered
372 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I guess the moral of the story is never judge a mouthpiece by visual inspection?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts