Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to understand the differences between the beak profiles of STMs over the years. I have played a few No USA STMs which seem to have a smaller profile than the Florida USA STM replicas I have played (Phil Tone Tribute, Falcon Florida). I find the slightly larger profiles of these replicas a bit more comfortable, and am wondering whether the originals from the Florida USA period also had larger beaks. The modern STMs also seem to have larger beak profiles.

·
Registered
8,025 Posts
I’ve had a lot of Links and I’ve found that the profiles were all curved from side to side until the Early Babbitt which is more flat.
The low profile seems to help make them play brighter.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
I am trying to understand the differences between the beak profiles of STMs over the years. I have played a few No USA STMs which seem to have a smaller profile than the Florida USA STM replicas I have played (Phil Tone Tribute, Falcon Florida). I find the slightly larger profiles of these replicas a bit more comfortable, and am wondering whether the originals from the Florida USA period also had larger beaks. The modern STMs also seem to have larger beak profiles.
Larger in what way?

·
Forum Contributor 2016-17
481 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Larger in what way?
Feels like a higher beak to me, but to Whaler’s point, it could also be wider or flatter. The net sensation is that of a slightly bigger beak in the mouth, for me at least.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,409 Posts
Links have been very variable over the years, basically being hand-made and with many revisions thrown into the mix. Another reason to try more mouthpieces before settling. Berg Larsens have been the same way.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts