Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2016, Distinguished SOTW Member
12,794 Posts
Man, I really liked the 2nd clip. The first one is more spread and the 2nd seemed more focused with a brighter ring to the sound. Just seemed like it had more of a clarity and presence to me. All seemed more alive and energetic. Did you label which one was which I didn't see that anywhere........

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Man, I really liked the 2nd clip. The first one is more spread and the 2nd seemed more focused with a brighter ring to the sound. Just seemed like it had more of a clarity and presence to me. All seemed more alive and energetic. Did you label which one was which I didn't see that anywhere........
Thanks for your comments! If I had labeled them from the start all the votes had gone to the link so this is more fun. I will reveal the answer later.

·
12,794 Posts
Thanks for your comments! If I had labeled them from the start all the votes had gone to the link so this is more fun. I will reveal the answer later.
My RS Berkeley CP is pretty dark so I assumed it was the first one but I don't know now as maybe the Link is really dark. I think you sound way more comfortable on mouthpiece 2 so that would make me think that is the CP piece as you have been playing it for awhile..........

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
I had an RS Potter for awhile too, and I thought #1 was also it. So #2 would be the Link to my ear.

·
Premium Member
15,486 Posts
Sounds great as always, Roger. It doesn’t matter which mouthpiece it was, but I personally enjoyed the second sound much more. You also sounded more at home on that mouthpiece and it had a fatter and darker tone. I would say WITHOUT ANY HESITATION that it's the RS Mpc.
The Double Rings were darker than the USA Floridas, so to me that was a give-away.

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,016 Posts
I agree with the posts above. Thought you sounded more comfortable on mpc #2 and also I preferred the tone quality, slightly. But having said that, the difference wasn't huge; it was pretty subtle, so we may be splitting hairs here. Maybe you are more used to the second mpc, which suggests to me it's the RS Berkeley.

·
Registered
247 Posts
I thought that MPC 2 was the Potter piece as well. I thought that MPC 1 had more grain to the tone, but 2 had a fuller, richer tone. Quite small differences though.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,580 Posts
I thought the difference was rather huge in my opinion. I mean I listened to one and just went " Hmmmm" I listened to 2 and went "Wow".........
I agree. 1st piece sounded darker and less focused, with less of a “ringing” to the tone.

·
Registered
2,589 Posts
the first recording sounds like a bad reed day to me. hard to tell whether you don't have as much control of it because the reed is not a good match for this piece or because you were not as used to it, or because this mouthpiece has a facing issue. the second recording does indeed sound like a Wow! clean and focused.

is the reed is the same between the two recordings? and was it a fresh reed out of the box or has it been played for a while on one of the mouthpieces (#2?) before this comparison?

·
Registered
2,337 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the first recording sounds like a bad reed day to me. hard to tell whether you don't have as much control of it because the reed is not a good match for this piece or because you were not as used to it, or because this mouthpiece has a facing issue. the second recording does indeed sound like a Wow! clean and focused.

is the reed is the same between the two recordings? and was it a fresh reed out of the box or has it been played for a while on one of the mouthpieces (#2?) before this comparison?
Thanks, the reed has been played mostly on mpc 1 so there is no issue with the reed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
#2 for me. But as others have said, it sounded like you were more comfortable on the piece. Both sound great but #2 had that something extra that just makes it for me.

·
Administrator
17,281 Posts
Sounding good on both Roger.

In my ears the first clip sounded a bit more spread and darker compared to the second one, which was brighter and more focused and fluent. You also seemed to have some control issues in the first clip in the lower register. That would point to clip 1 being the Link FL USA and clip 2 the RS Berkeley.

But.... I would expect a Link FL USA with a 6* tip to be more bright than a 7* RS Berkeley. That, together with the fact that your reed sounded harder to play on the first mouthpiece could point to the other way around (1 = RS 7*, 2 = Link 6*).

But let's stay with my first guess!

By the way, I preferred the sound of the first clip.

·
Registered
88 Posts
They both sounded great to me but I think I liked the first clip better. Maybe because it sounded like you were channeling Sonny Rollins in his earlier years with some great sounding inflections etc. so I'm probably a little biased here.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
#2 is a special sound. #1 is great, but it sounds like you have to work too hard.

My guess:

Link #1

RS #2

I play an RS. It’s a beautiful/powerful/clear/dark/efficient piece.

Great playing, thanks for doing this! Fun!

·
12,794 Posts
Thanks for listening and commenting. It's always interesting to hear your thoughts. The answer is:

Mpc 1 Otto Link

Mpc 2 RS Berkeley
Good to know. Thanks. I haven't tried D'Addario reeds in a long time, I didn't realize they had a 3H reed. I thought they were just one size per number 2.5,3,3.5, etc......I think I'll order a box........

1 - 20 of 20 Posts