Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I have played a Slant Sig Tone Edge Florida 4 tenor mpc opened up by Brian Powell to 0.099 for quite some time and I like it. Last year I got a Link Eburnated Bar Slant Sig 5 that is really near mint and looks great. You can have a look at it at my mouthpiece picture site:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157625438727586/

From time to time I pick it up with a harder reed. I like the basic tone and response, but I prefer the Tone Edge's air flow and reaction. I would love another HR piece about size 7, but I am not sure what a refacing would do to my Eburnated Bar piece in sound and value. Would you have a guy like Brian Powell work on it or would you rather sell it to collector or "hard reed" player? I traded a Guardala handmade Traditional for it, so I am not talking about peanuts here. Thanks for your advice.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I also just came across a Florida slant 5. I think it's the first series where the number facing is on the table. I am curious about your answer as well. I was considering getting this opened to a 7 .105 but I not sure what that would do to the value and sound?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,382 Posts
it's possible to open these smaller sizes to something a bit more open without really changing the character of the piece. Opening a 5 (if it actually measures correctly) to a 6-7 in Otto Link sizings could bring the piece to life a little. As it stands for value ... that's kind of subjective. It could be worth a lot to someone who likes smaller openings and older facings. I played a really nice eburnated bar era Otto Link with 7* on the table that was really nice. Not super loud but strong and darker. Hope this helps.

Sebastian

·
Registered
313 Posts
Leave the Eburnated Bar piece alone. It will never be the same as a Tone Edge.

Your Eburnated Bar is a very different mp from the Tone Edge. The Eburnated Bar was a budget version of the metal Link. It has a very large chamber. The Tone Edge is not at all the same. The TE is made to be brighter.

Personally, I love the old Eburnated Bar. And I much prefer the STM to the Tone Edge. So I would hope that you leave the Eburaated Bar alone and sell it to someone who will appreciate it as is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2009
4,507 Posts
I'm interested on the eburnated bar. I play on tonemasters so getting one like this would be a chance for me to use a HR from time to time and not feel so different.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts