Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know they have big chambers and less baffle than the later models.
Anyone have experience or an opinion on what they can be like when they are at their best?
Value is not listed on Theo Wanne's vintage mouthpiece list either.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,596 Posts
I had one that was a really fine mouthpiece. It lacked resistance for a low baffle, large chamber mouthpiece and produced a big fat sound. Mine was opened up by Mojo to .105 from its original "J.A." or Joe Allard facing. Some months later I changed tenors from a Yamaha to a Selmer and the Reso became very difficult to play in tune. After struggling with it for a few weeks, I sold it and moved on. The mouthpiece was always difficult to center on pitch but the tone was beautiful enough that I dealt with this compromise. I played this mouthpiece for about 6 months and enjoyed it immensely.

My teacher played a Reso that was worked on by Theo and I feel like this mouthpiece is better crop than mine was, a better chamber out of the factory, probably.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I think you have to work harder at getting the sound on a Reso than on a Slant. I've been playing a slant for the past 4 years and links and link style pieces for 10 ish years before that. I'm having to work harder than I've ever had to to get the sound I want out of my Reso. But I'm getting there and the effort is worth it.

I'm not sure what they typically cost, but I think they go for a little less than a slant. Maybe 10mfan could commemt if he sees this thread.

·
2,771 Posts
ZenBen said:
I'm not sure what they typically cost, but I think they go for a little less than a slant. Maybe 10mfan could commemt if he sees this thread.
Hell, he could probably sell you one for the low, low price of $259,999.99!! :twisted:

63 Posts
There seems to be many more slant signature mouthpieces than there are reso chambers, and generally the reso chambers demand a higher price (please correct me if I'm wrong). Is it possible to have somebody work on a slant signature mouthpiece to make it more like the reso chamber, or are the mouthpieces too different? I've always wanted to know, but never bothered to start a thread about it. Sorry if I drag you all off topic.

·
4,147 Posts
Martin Magna Commitee Sax said:
There seems to be many more slant signature mouthpieces than there are reso chambers, and generally the reso chambers demand a higher price (please correct me if I'm wrong). Is it possible to have somebody work on a slant signature mouthpiece to make it more like the reso chamber, or are the mouthpieces too different? I've always wanted to know, but never bothered to start a thread about it. Sorry if I drag you all off topic.

Or even a modern Tone edge? You could save a few $100 that way.

·
Registered
181 Posts
I've seen a few tenor resos go on e bay one for $407.50,one for $382, and one that I think needed quite a bit of work for $310. Dealers usually charge about $550-$600 for one. All of them were like 4 or 5*'s.

Generally, I think if you can get one in pretty good shape for $350-$400(for a 4 or 5*) your doin good.

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I started this thread initially because I ended up with one that arrived with a horn, and I was debating selling as "original" or opening it up and trying it out.
It was a 4 and I had it opened to a 7*. It's great. On the dark side of the spectrum as expected but clear and complex. When pushed it get a nice edge and has power. Nearly effortlessly in tune. Far better than I expected or hoped. I don't know if this is what the early slants are like, but it's a very nice surprise. Seems to be the best mouthpiece I have. And I'll admit that I do have more than a couple of good ones.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I was with Peter when he tried out that Reso last night and it was drop dead gorgeous when he played it on his SBA tenor - rich, full and complex. On my MkVI (with my less developed chops as well) however it was nothing special. Go figure!

·
Heterodox nonconformist
403 Posts
dirty said:
Hell, he could probably sell you one for the low, low price of $259,999.99!! :twisted:
Lovely. Simply lovely.

(ROTFL!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts