Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys. I need to pay for my wife's new guitar (Taylor K28). I am thinking of parting with my Joe Allard Reso Chamber, grudgingly. It is quite a distinct player, very loud for such a small tip opening. I believe it is all original. Tip measures .063 on my gauge. Got some pics here. I think those are the original machine marks on the table, although somewhat worn over the years. They are very hard to pick up with the camera.

Like to get some feed back. I also see a couple of refinished resos up on Ebay over $2K. Is this going rate? Thanks

That line on the beak is just discoloration. Think something was laying on it in the case for years and years and years.

Fluid Drinkware Cosmetics Liquid Drink
Finger Wood Rectangle Electric blue Nail
Wood Musical instrument accessory Composite material Tints and shades Everyday carry
Bottle Fluid Glass bottle Tints and shades Wood
Wood Musical instrument accessory Tool Kitchen utensil Material property
Mobile phone Portable communications device Communication Device Bumper Gadget
Wood Tints and shades Kitchen utensil Electric blue Gadget

·
Registered
580 Posts
I’ve seen them from dealers for less than that. Not a whole lot less but... Generally the $1500-$2500 range from dealers depending on condition. I can’t say anything about whether it is original or not. I can say the higher end mouthpieces (like the Resos and the Freddie Gregory I’ve had up) do take a while to sell at the least. Have you sent it to any refacers to look at? They may be able to help verify it’s authenticity. That would make it more valuable. As an aside, do you have anything else you could get rid of instead that would make it so you don’t have to get rid of that piece? Those are pretty hard to come by.

·
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
hadn't thought of sending it to a refacer for verification. Thanks for that. I dropped $2800 on the guitar so I have to come up with something.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I tried one of these at Eric Drake's shop a year ago. It was a mint 7* for $1300. I couldn't see paying that much for a mouthpiece, even though it was cool and different.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
4,831 Posts
Sorry if this is obvious but:

Is this alto or tenor ? I know Allard played alto so it's an alto 'piece... right ?

--
EDIT - nevermind the question I see this is the Tenor Mpc. section .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,606 Posts
hadn't thought of sending it to a refacer for verification. Thanks for that. I dropped $2800 on the guitar so I have to come up with something.
That's as good a justification as I have seen for seeking an exhorbitant price. If you are going to sell it on eBay, it doesn't matter what you think it should go for - it's all up to the participating bidders.

You could try contacting shops such as GetASax.com to see if they want it.

Bottom line: It sounds like this fell into your lap and is free money - enjoy whatever you get.

·
Registered
S: SA II. A+T: Martin HC1 T: Mark VI A:39 King Zephyr B: Martin HC imperial
202 Posts
If original of should be a 0.070 tip opening. It looks like you got 0.63 so you may want to measure again. But it would seem to be close to original.

This is a long facing. So it will feel bigger than a comparable medium facing.

Below has more on it.

·
Registered
T880, YTS-82Z; B991; 'Crat 1 alto
1,335 Posts
If original of should be a 0.070 tip opening. If you have a set of feeler gauge you could do a crude validation by laying face down on flat surface and measure the tip

Below has more on it.

The Trefeil page shows 0.70" as the tip opening for a tenor.
My understading is that alto is around 0.65". Saxquest has a sold one on their site, a later slant sig version, that measured .65
My JA model alto, one of the early ones before the Reso Chamber marking, measured around .63, though my equipment was not sufficient to yield and extremely precise measurement.

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Trefeil page shows 0.70" as the tip opening for a tenor.
My understading is that alto is around 0.65". Saxquest has a sold one on their site, a later slant sig version, that measured .65
My JA model alto, one of the early ones before the Reso Chamber marking, measured around .63, though my equipment was not sufficient to yield and extremely precise measurement.
This thread is listed under the Tenor mouthpiece category. So if it is 0.63 then it is likely an Alto piece. But that is going to affect its value. IMHO the market does not seem to appreciate vintage link alto pierces and it likely is only to fetch a fraction of what a tenor piece would.

·
34,606 Posts
If original of should be a 0.070 tip opening. It looks like you got 0.63 so you may want to measure again. But it would seem to be close to original.

A long facing will have more reed flex for a given applied force, hence it will feel like a smaller tip.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A long facing will have more reed flex for a given applied force, hence it will feel like a smaller tip.
I would agree with the above with the caveat of “if not played properly”. I think a lot of people play the long facing like they do a medium facing and they clamp down on the reed and close down the facing so they sound stuffy.

On my OL Four****, there is about an 8 decibel difference in playing on the tip versus at the end of the bite plate. Same result on my ToneMaster.

In support of my original supposition. Theo Wanne states that “A long facing makes the mouthpiece feel like a larger tip opening than it actually is.” Mouthpiece Facings | Theo Wanne

·
34,606 Posts
I would agree with the above with the caveat of “if not played properly”. I think a lot of people play the long facing like they do a medium facing and they clamp down on the reed and close down the facing so they sound stuffy.

On my OL Four****, there is about an 8 decibel difference in playing on the tip versus at the end of the bite plate. Same result on my ToneMaster.

In support of my original supposition. Theo Wanne states that “A long facing makes the mouthpiece feel like a larger tip opening than it actually is.” Mouthpiece Facings | Theo Wanne
Too bad that he doesn't follow up with an explanation of what he means. If it does feel like a larger tip, then put an even softer reed on it and see how it responds. If playing a longer facing, it is often good to reevaluate how much mouthpiece you take in and where you lip contacts the reed.

·
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is a tenor piece. I was hoping to get some feed back on the machine marks on the table which I tried to pick up in the pics. Re-zeroed my gauge and it is reading .069, so that seems proper for the original tenor. Thanks for the feedback guys.

·
1,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
All the other pieces I see available have been refaced. Granted, this is a small tip opening, but the long face really makes it project. I guess some could look at this small tip opening and judge it to be unplayable as it sits. But, once you touch it, you can never go back. As such, un-retouched pieces can be seen as more desirable, but generally only when it is originally open to the tip opening you want. So would this piece be more desirable if I have it opened up, or original? As far as I can figure this is an un-retouched early New York Reso Chamber.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts