Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a friend that plays a 10* NY. He sounds great. Give these pieces a shot.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
There are some good modern Links. I have a very good STM NY that only needed to have the table leveled.

Getting a Florida does not assure a quality facing. The Florida STM pieces have a somewhat different tone than the modern Links. You get a Florida for the sound, not the facing. I bought a Florida to get that "core sound" that seems to be much less defined in the modern STM's.

To assure a really perfect facing on just about any factory-made piece, it will need to be inspected and possibly hand refaced. The total cost of a nice new shiny Link STM NY and a simple reface job by EZ or Mojo is still cheaper overall than the price that most good Florida Links go for.

·
Registered
337 Posts
bb said:
What do you think about the current production Otto Link NY (metal) for tenor?Can I find a good one or do I have to consider florida links only?Bye
They are so variable - even a visual inspection shows all kinds of errors rollover baffles at different cockeyed angles and roofs on some like this ^
I would be careful ,in one shop here they were all demics.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I have a 5* and 7* modern NY Links and both played quite well out of the box.You should try some as they may vary in response. I have tried 2 others since my purchase and they played well also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts