Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:( :!: :cry: i just bought a otto mouthpiece and i cant play low notes that well.. and it requires lots of breath. wow
plz say it was worth the money.:? :x

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,936 Posts
Sorry. There may be a lot more going on - anything from "You need a different reed" to "Maybe it has a bad facing".

Do you have any other information about it to share?

What, exactly, did you get?

What horn are you playing it on?

Are you successful with other mouthpieces on the same instrument?

If "yes", what mouthpiece(s)?

That'll get you started.

Welcome to SotW! ;)

·
Registered
34 Posts
i use otto links for my tenor best results with rico royal 2 1/2 or 3 reeds the mpc has a #6 facing..great tone on my 1955 martin indiana tenor..

·
Registered
39 Posts
Problems with Otto Link 6 tenor metal

itzthomaz said:
:( :!: :cry: i just bought a otto mouthpiece and i cant play low notes that well.. and it requires lots of breath. wow
plz say it was worth the money.:? :x
I'm also having a problem with my Otto Link 6 tenor STM metal.
Sharp on the high notes, stuffy, not happening. Tried all
kinds of reeds and placements.

The Yamaha 4CM sounds fine, and perfectly in tune in all
registers.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Dr G said:
Sorry. There may be a lot more going on - anything from "You need a different reed" to "Maybe it has a bad facing". Do you have any other information about it to share? What, exactly, did you get?
...and, particularly, what size mpc is it?

Your question is too general and if we know what the reed-strength to tip-opening relationship is, that would go a long way towards helping you.

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Links blow very differently than many other pieces so if you even have a good one (that doesn't need to be refaced) then you may not be used to how it responds. As well as the reed combo there is the ligature question as well. One way to check if all these things are in order is to perform the seal test.

Place the chank of the mouthpiece against the soft part of your palm (get an airtight seal). Now, with the reed in place, suck the air from the mouthpiece. The reed should seal against the mouthpiece for a second or two, even more in some cases.

This is not always the case for decent or good mouthpieces, but, it can be a good starting point for determining what setup will work on a mouthpiece.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, & Forum Contributor 201
587 Posts
... and he never returned. No, he never returned and his fate is still unlearned.

·
3,295 Posts
I take that Red Line to the office (when I have to actually go there). I will still get nightmares about it from time to time. ;)

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
yeah, but taking the MTA is still better than having concrete slabs fall from above and crush you and your car flatter than a reed. Not to be morbid, mind you, but who would have thunk it until it happened? :shock:

·
3,295 Posts
And when I have o drive into the office (like when I have a gig right after work) that's the exit I take...

Hmmmmmm....

Is God trying to curse the South Shore or is it just that way?

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,811 Posts
Periodically, one reads of STM Links being bad. I've never heard of an expert player not being able to play a mouthpiece, it might not be their cup of tea but the piece always plays.

Now, as many others have said the way you put the question leaves no possible reasoned answer, we can only guess what you mean.

1) The mouthpiece doesn't seal well, the cork is too small and in order to play in tune the seal isn't good.

2) The mouthpiece is to open for your chops. Regardless of what it says on the piece.... it might have been open further than your chops can handle.
Most players, especially beginners think that bigger is better. It isn't the size of your equipment....is what you do with it

3) You use a bad reed, Sometimes reeds are bad. I know of people who get one reed out of a box and play....regardless, some others choose their reeds accurately or work on them. Even so, some reeds are unplayable.

4) The reed is too thick for your chops. That is the purpose of numbers or sizes, but sometimes size 3 ain't the size 3 you were always used to or size 3 of brand X isn't brand Y 3 size. Chose the appropriate size for you, not what they tell you is right , but what you can handle. It isn't the size of your equipment....is what you do with it ;)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re: otto mouthpeice bad?

sorry about waiting.
I was busy looking for a good Tenor Sax and just bought one(Jean Baptiste JB900TS Tenor Saxophone)
I got the mouthpiece at Sam Ash and other mouthpieces work on my saxaphones.
And the reeds were good. They were Rico, and Vandoren Jazz and Regular (Size 3)
The reeds were too big for the mouthpiece. I have a Jean Baptiste Tenor saxophone model JB-380 T/L.:?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,309 Posts

Old one or new one, people who remember, there were plenty of Links in the 50's, 60's, 70's and today that came out just lousy.

To re-coin a phrase "Otto Links, I spit on them!"

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

But some people say that otto links are good.

·
Registered
522 Posts

But some people say that otto links are good.
Yeah but that's like saying Nike is good or Ford is good or Microsoft is good. Obviously some people disagree entirely, some people disagree in part, and some people agree totally.

It totally depends on the person and the particular piece. It becomes clear very quickly that saxophone gear is HIGHLY personal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2010
3,310 Posts

Some links are good, some great, some mediocre. One of my absolute favourite pieces is a link STM NY 7* refaced by Ed Zentera. It does things that other pieces dont do for me. On the other hand Ive had links that I was quite happy to sell on, and the new users have got on just fine with them. Horses for courses I guess.

But there is no guarantee that this particular piece its the best piece for you. You could get it refaced and eliminate any doubt over the quality of the facing, but that will cost you money and wont guarantee you like it anyway.

The fact is some pieces you can put on and they will sing for you right away (my experience with a beechler bellite on alto), and others never will (too many to count!). Its ultimately just a mouthpiece, there are plenty more fish in the sea.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,853 Posts

How long have you been playing?
What tip opening is your mp?
Can you play low notes easily with other mp's? If so, which mp plays best for you?

Those answers are pretty important when complaining about not being able to play low notes. Otherwise you will just get a lot of "I hate Otto Links" and "I love Otto Links" comments. BTW, I love Otto Links. You just have to have them worked on a bit by someone that knows what they are doing.

·
Registered
200 Posts

Im planning on getting a link soon....i played on a 9 and it was amazing and very easy, but i will try the 7 and 8 before i purchase

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #20

i have been playing tenor sax for 2 years now
i use vandoren mouthpiece
low notes are easy to hit

1 - 20 of 52 Posts