Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new Otto Link Super Tone Master (metal) 7* mouthpiece for my 1950s vintage Conn 10m tenor.

The mouthpiece plays great, but I'm not happy with the Otto Link ligature it came with. The mechanism for gripping and tightening on the reed is dodgy. The bar that grips the reed is never aligned properly, and the thumbscrew just doesn't seem to get very tight. It's almost impossible to adjust the mpc position without pushing the reed out of place.

To get to the point ... what ligatures do people prefer to use with modern Otto Link metal mouthpieces?

·
Registered
268 Posts
I've played lots of expensive ligs on links as well as stock ligs. My favorite is the current Rovner Mk3. Super easy to adjust and will not scratch up the mouthpiece. Great control, tone and projection. As an added bonus, they are quite affordable.

·
Registered
2,797 Posts
I've always had similar issues with the lig that came with my metal STM alto mp, bought in the early 2000's. Last night, I tried it out on my metal Berg tenor piece, and it worked perfectly: good alignment and no slippage.

·
Administrator
17,301 Posts
I prefer the Link ligatures, but I also know some can give issues.

You can try to bend the points of the metal plate a bit downwards, so that they touch the reed properly. It's also not required to tighten the screw too tight, just use the pressure required to get the reed in a fixed and stable position.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,431 Posts
I have a two screw berg lig that fits my tenor STM perfectly.

·
Registered
271 Posts
The Link ligs are hit and miss. When they work they’re fine, but many don’t seem to hold the reed steady as you’re describing. I have two that work great: one is older with the “T” on the knob, and one is later but without the “V” on the top. I have had versions of the “V”, the non-“V”, and the “T” that worked well without having to tighten the knob too much, and some that didn’t work even when cranked down. I don’t understand why they all don’t work. I have heard that gluing a piece of felt or a thin layer of cork on the reed plate helps. The 404 seems to be the lig of choice for folks who have abandoned the Link lig. They’re great, I use one on my Link and my Barone and it’s solid. Btw, does anyone know when Otto Link made the STM lig without the “V” stamp (nor the “T” on the knob)?

·
Registered
1,313 Posts
I find the vintage Otto Link ligatures work really well, like the Tone Master and Double Ring era, so that's what I use. Florida Link ligs have a thicker reed plate, which to my ears does affect the sound. If you don't want to spend a lot, then the Early Babbitt ligatures sound great, and usually can be bought under $100.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I'm looking to find a selmer 404 lig for an stm and both of the links above don't work and all of the other stores/resources I can find are out of stock. Does anybody know where one can find one to purchase?

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
I'm looking to find a selmer 404 lig for an stm and both of the links above don't work and all of the other stores/resources I can find are out of stock. Does anybody know where one can find one to purchase?
Amazon seems to have it...

·
Registered
134 Posts
I find the vintage Otto Link ligatures work really well, like the Tone Master and Double Ring era, so that's what I use. Florida Link ligs have a thicker reed plate, which to my ears does affect the sound. If you don't want to spend a lot, then the Early Babbitt ligatures sound great, and usually can be bought under $100.
This seems to be an issue of luck. My two 60’s - 70’s STM ligs (alto&bari) are very “slippery”. However, my new bari STM lig is good (but the color is different from the mp).

·
Registered
718 Posts
Amazon seems to have it...
I went back to the Amazon site to take a screenshot to show you that the third-party reseller they refer to is listed as being out of stock...and lo and behold that same reseller now lists one as being available on November 24. So I ordered one, and owe you a “Thank You!” for sending me there.
I also somehow missed this thread which might have helped me order one from Europe: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...-Ligature-Please-Help-me-find-one/page2&amp=1

·
Registered
363 Posts
I went back to the Amazon site to take a screenshot to show you that the third-party reseller they refer to is listed as being out of stock...and lo and behold that same reseller now lists one as being available on November 24. So I ordered one, and owe you a “Thank You!” for sending me there.
I also somehow missed this thread which might have helped me order one from Europe: https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showt...nor-Ligature-Please-Help-me-find-one/page2&=1
Mine arrived yesterday from Capital Music Gear via Amazon--bizarrely listed as "Selmer Music Stand (M404LIG)": silver-plated, brand-new in original Selmer box and packaging. Phew, getting harder and harder to find one!

·
Registered
SML RevD Tenor, SML RevD Alto
37 Posts
I got a Otto Link Vintage Tenor metal mouthpiece and I want to replace the ligature as the original is not to my liking. At the moment the options that I'm considering are Rovner Dark, MK-III and Versa X. Versa would also be OK, but I'm not looking to spend over 50€ for a lig at the moment.
As I need most likely to order it online (probably Thomann), I want to get it right the first time. So if anyone can confirm that these would be the best fit sizes:
3ML
C-3ML
X-3ML

The main idea is to get a lig that is firm and allows to take the mouthpiece off and put it bach without removing the lig. The original feels too flimsy that it seems to turn in the mpc. Also getting the reed to optimal position is not so good, when the pressure plate keeps shifting position.

·
Registered
2,597 Posts
The 3ML-NY works best on my early Babbitt links. The light model in this size is my first choice ligature for my STM.
If yours is a modern “vintage” model maybe the 3ML is a better choice. Rovner website has a size selection tool.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,095 Posts
Rico H, (now D'Addario) for almost 10 years. It doesn't scratch or mark the reed, a good point when you keep a reed for more than a year...
The original Link ligature might well be an icon, I remember seeing it on LP covers before I could see it in real life. Once you think a bit about mechanics and geometry, a radial screw is a bit of a non-sense. Unless you make it with precision... and expensive.

https://www.daddario.com/products/w...igatures-and-caps/soprano-h-ligature-and-cap/

·
Registered
2,825 Posts
I like the Link ligature design, the old ones always worked well. The new ones are not as sturdy, nor as well made.

However, the new ones CAN be good, they just needs a little love... You have to take a pair of needle nose pliers and mess about with the rivet holding the plate, these are often very poorly attached so that they bind and drag. The other thing to do is put something ON the plate, a thin piece of cork or leather (a piece of recycled pad leather is perfect). This will help the plate maintain contact with the reed.

If you want an alternative, the Wanne Enlightened lig is OK ... but the screw will fit in the Link ligature! You will have to destroy the rivet in the Link lig to get the plate off, but then you have the ability to use the Wanne screw and plates to adjust to suit. Kind of an expensive way to get the ligature to work, but it does the job.

The alternatives I prefer are the El-Cheapo Rico - though I think they don't make STM size anymore; or the Rico H. The 404 requires work to get it to fit right - and they don't make that anymore either :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts