Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me first time purchase of a metal MP. Always played HR and liked what I heard. I bought the Link out of curiosity and was looking for a deep smooth tone. Well I found it, brand new out of the box , rails are even, lays flat on table and looks fine. Plays great its a 6* a little smaller then what I have been playing but I have to say for all the "complaints" regarding quality I have no issues. The tenor is a TW01 and the combination is fine up and down. It is playing so well I am sort of stunned at the result when I hear about the $500-600 price points for boutique set ups. Maybe I got lucky but with this MP I don't need to search for another. New horn ,new MP. Even the neighbors are happy.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,794 Posts
Congrats on the new mouthpiece and glad you like it. Proofs that you can still find a good new Link too, even while many report that the changes are not that big. :)

I'm not one of them, I have a big collection of Link's (mainly vintage) and almost all play well, including some modern (after 1980) ones.

The finishing of boutique mouthpieces is almost always very good (which should for the money they ask for them), but I've never found one that has equal sound characteristics of a good Link. So if you go for that Link sound best is to find one (a Link!) that plays well and gives you what you are looking for (like you did).

·
Registered
8,142 Posts
The trick to finding a good Link of any era is to keep the tip opening down. A 6 always seems to be the sweet spot for any Link.

·
Administrator Emeritus
17,794 Posts
A 6 always seems to be the sweet spot for any Link.
For you whaler...

Many others play good Link's with a different tip size, we are all different.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I purchased a " Super Tone Master" NY Link a few years back. It's a #5. The NY is a large chamber metal Link, that's probably why your getting a smooth sound on it. This was the first metal mouthpiece that I could get to "work" for me. I tried a bunch of different brands and always had poor results until I got the NY Link.

Anyway, I stopped playing tenor for a couple years to focus full time on alto, and when I started back playing tenor a few months ago I wasn't getting a good sound out of the Link, so I went back to my HR NY Meyer. Who knows, maybe once my tenor chops are back up to speed I'll give the Link another try.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Congrats on your NY STM. I recently got one too, and like you I am stoked with it.

I played high baffles for a long time and still have all my DG's, But for certain gigs I wanted the dark smooth Link sound. I had bought a new 8* "Vintage" STM couple yrs back, but turned out on the Link the .115 tip was too wide for me, also I found it to be a very stuffy tubby and reed-picky thing with an obvious concave table. I dumped it.

Recently I tried to love a Link again, this time I picked up a pre-owned 7* "NY" STM finished to a perfect .110 by Brian Powell. It's a much better tip size for me.

I think the NY is a fantastic mpc, mine plays super easy, feathery response (with a softer Legere.)….man what a sound, on my silver VI or my Big B bar honker, incredible Link smoky subtones, fat full mid range and palms, plenty of edge if you want it.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
Congrats on the new mouthpiece and glad you like it. Proofs that you can still find a good new Link too, even while many report that the changes are not that big. :)

I'm not one of them, I have a big collection of Link's (mainly vintage) and almost all play well, including some modern (after 1980) ones.

The finishing of boutique mouthpieces is almost always very good (which should for the money they ask for them), but I've never found one that has equal sound characteristics of a good Link. So if you go for that Link sound best is to find one (a Link!) that plays well and gives you what you are looking for (like you did).
I always thought that myself, to have a Link sound you play a Link not a clone.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
The trick to finding a good Link of any era is to keep the tip opening down. A 6 always seems to be the sweet spot for any Link.
What do you base this claim on …?

·
Registered
134 Posts

I’m with you on this. I tried many, but now I’m back to my Links an I’m really happy with them. The one characteristic that appeals to me is the ease they play. Goes without saying that I like the timbre. In my opinion, only the studio musicians really need top of the line mouthpieces. Those you can hear if you have a good enough audio system.

I bought a new STM #7 for my bari just a month ago. It does not pass the suction test (my older one, that I worked on, does!!), but the sound is great, nevertheless. So, like Phil Barone says, believe your ears, not your eyes. By the way, what Phil Barone said, I had already heard in connection of how to choose your wife!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I’m with you on this. I tried many, but now I’m back to my Links an I’m really happy with them. The one characteristic that appeals to me is the ease they play. Goes without saying that I like the timbre. In my opinion, only the studio musicians really need top of the line mouthpieces. Those you can hear if you have a good enough audio system.

I bought a new STM #7 for my bari just a month ago. It does not pass the suction test (my older one, that I worked on, does!!), but the sound is great, nevertheless. So, like Phil Barone says, believe your ears, not your eyes. By the way, what Phil Barone said, I had already heard in connection of how to choose your wife!
I have to say a great MP will make a player better, not only top musicians benefit but "regulars" will improve and gain confidence.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
5,455 Posts
OP - congrats on the acquisition of the OL NY STM! There are good current OLs available in the market. I picked up a 6* OL STM 12 years ago and a 7 OL NY STM about 8 years ago. Both off eBay for a really good price, figuring I could sink about $100-$125 (at the time) into a reface if they didn't pan out. Even with the reface I'd have less than $200 invested in either piece. Fortunately they did work for me, and fortunately you ran across one!

Personally, I think I'd like the STM NY in a 6* but it's still pretty easy, as they are to switch between pieces.

Caveat emptor - due to the Otto Link threads on SoTW, YMMV with them. Lot's of folks report inconsistent facings with the newer pieces...

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have 3 Links, stm 6, stm ny 5, and "vintage" tone master 5, all bought new in 2018. All play easily. The vintage had the most solid, full tone, but can sound stuffy until you work with it. With some work (practice, reed selection, etc), you can get the stuffiness out of it. The vintage can be too dark on some horns. The ny is my favorite, but not quite as solid of a tone as the vintage, but nice. The stm has a little more buzz than I like. I got all of them off the web, so I didn't have a chance to select the ones that I wanted. They are not as beautiful looking, finished, as a vandoren v16 metal, but all play well.

·
SOTW Member
3,394 Posts
I’ve had a bunch of Links but I’ve just found this tip opening works for getting an edge no matter what the vintage.
Hi Whaler, this is good info, I have gone to smaller tips lately,

Currently I got a fine NY STM at .110 but continuing down in my tip size journey you got me thinking about trying a #6...:whistle:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts