Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My apologies if this has been answered before, I couldn't find it.

Do all otto link metal ligs (for metal mpcs) hit the read with the screw in the middle? Or does that mean the lig is worn out from the threads getting loose?

There are little dots on the corners of the plate but they don't seem to hit the reed. If this isn't proper, is there a way to alter the lig to make it function properly again?

Thanks!

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don’t know either if this has been answered already. Having 3 such mp’s (1 alto and 2 bari) and 2 of them from the 70’s or earlier this interest me. All of them have the original ligature. In my experience the lig is not great for several reasons. If you tighten it up, it may get difficult open. And, yes, the plate will twist when you are about to close it. In my understanding, those dots are meant to each touch the read symmetrically, so you should obviously adjust that before you tighten it up. It’s clearly less of a problem in my new bari mp, so age may have some effect? What I’ve noticed is that many of the star players play with the original lig. I once tried the bari piece with my alto Rovner lig. I couldn’t tell if the sound changed, but the Rovner was clearly easier to operate and held the reed better.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
8,077 Posts
The plates on the Link ligatures can flatten out over time to a point where the central rivet is sitting on the reed.
If it holds the reed well, you can leave it alone and play on.
If not it is possible to slightly bend the plates corners back upward using two pairs of pliers on opposite corners.
Or better still just buy a Selmer 404 if it’s for tenor and throw the Link lig out.
For Baritone a Vandoren Optimum Alto ligature fits perfectly.

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
The rivet should not hit the reed. The "little bumps" should. Bend the plate so that happens.

An expensive solution is to substitute the screw and plate from a Theo Wanne Enlightened Ligature. The screw has the same thread as the Link (at least mine does...). You will have to break the rivet to remove the Link plate.

If the plate twists to one side when tightening down it means the rivet connection is bent or was never OK to begin with - it's binding somewhere. On a "good" Link ligature the plate floats freely and does not twist.

One thing I used to do was cover the plate with leather from a worn out pad (ask your tech for a couple of large discarded pads). It gives a better grip than the brass. Glue it down with contact cement.

What I do now is use a $15 Rico ligature - the inverted one. Better in my opinion than a 404, mostly because it's inverted.

·
Registered
68 Posts
This drives me insane when the Link ligatures do that.. I have had a couple that have done it over time, and I’m not a tight lig kinda guy.

Anyone here have any experience using the Oleg ligatures on Florida STMs??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts