Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd like to have your opinion about the combinaison of a Buescher tt (1923) and an Otto Link master (1930's). Do you think that this is the best mouthpiece for this kind of sax?

Thanks!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,528 Posts
I'm using a Florida no-USA Super Tone Master on a Series 3 True Tone alto from 1927. The work VERY well together. Here a sound clip:

It's the first of the two altos.

http://cierra.cc/altocomp3.mp3

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,760 Posts
Do you think that this is the best mouthpiece for this kind of sax?
Does it work for you (intonation, tone, dynamics)?

It might not be my choice but I'm not the one playing it.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I use a Link STM on my Buescher TT C-melody. It works well. I don't like it much on my Tenor.
I haven't tried one on my TT alto.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,446 Posts
Any mouthpiece that plays FOR ME plays on my mid-'20's TT alto as well as all the others in my closet, from an early King to a Ref 54. Right now I'm using an S-80 C* and a Zinner blank labelled "Don Sinta". There is no BEST mouthpiece, given the huge differences we all have with one another. DAVE

·
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,250 Posts
You're right Dave, there's not best mouthpiece but certain mouthpiece/sax combos work better. In my experience Buescher TTs may have intonation issues if they are not paired with the right mouthpiece. This is the list of mouthpieces which worked for my on alto TTs:
- Otto Link TE 7
- Peter Ponzol M2 90
- Berg Larsen 85 2/M
- Berg Larsen 85 3/M
- Brancher J 24 (metal)

The only mouthpiece I remember didn't work with TTs was a metal Yanagisawa 5.

·
1,910 Posts
You're right Dave, there's not best mouthpiece but certain mouthpiece/sax combos work better. In my experience Buescher TTs may have intonation issues if they are not paired with the right mouthpiece. This is the list of mouthpieces which worked for my on alto TTs:
- Otto Link TE 7
- Peter Ponzol M2 90
- Berg Larsen 85 2/M
- Berg Larsen 85 3/M
- Brancher J 24 (metal)

The only mouthpiece I remember didn't work with TTs was a metal Yanagisawa 5.
Interesting that the Bergs worked for you on the TT alto, but I don't know much about Bergs. What are the chamber / baffles like on yours?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Sax Historian
7,153 Posts
OP is talking about the original Link metal piece of the early 1930s.

It shouldn't be a mismatch in chamber size with the True-Tone, but there may be some differences in facing. I own a Master 3 alto piece myself, but it doesn't play nearly as easily as rubber pieces of the same vintage.

In any case, the number of players using them on altos today must be very few. Alto players never did adopt metal Links in numbers as great as tenor players - especially after Otto introduced his rubber pieces later in the decade.

For the past half century or so, anyone using a metal piece on alto has chosen either a more open, brighter piece, such as an STM, or rarely, a classical Selmer. In either case, they're not likely to do so if they play a Buescher alto. Enviroguy is unusually adventurous, which can really pay off sometimes.

·
Alto: YAS-62S Conn Trany 6M Jupiter JAS-868 JAS-769 / Tenor: YTS-23 & 52 P. Mauriat 66R Holton 241
1,250 Posts
SiB0717 is right, those Bergs are dark sounding mouthpieces and not too open, keep in mind tip openings on Bergs use to be 0.005 less than the marked value.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.