Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alrighty,

So we know that not everybody likes Link ligs...that's cool. Let's put that aside. Has anyone ever fabricated extra plates for an Otto Link Ligature?

Thanks

·
Mouthpiece Refacer Extraordinaire and Forum Contri
3,407 Posts
No, but I am wondering how you would install one. Unless you just put it on top of the one that's already there... If you figure out a way, please share.

·
3,407 Posts
I wish they still used plate screws on the modern Link ligs. Now they just flare the end of the screw to attach the place - so you can't remove the plate without destroying the attachment. Sometimes the flared end sticks out higher than the plate and your reed get's ringworm - not to mention the reed isn't being held in place properly.

·
Banned
32 Posts
EZ,

I, being a sick obsessive guy, have switched around plates from different Link ligatures. (I hope Im not starting anything here)

What you have to do is, jiggle the plate around, to "work down" the metal screw's lip, then you, semi-forcefully (but carefully), "pop" the plate off.

How do you get the new one on?

Place the butt end of a metal flute cleaning rod on top of the end of the screw. (perfect size, btw), then take a mallet and hammer away!

This should bend the metal on top of the screw & form a new "lip"--I saw a "famous sax doctor" do that once, to my old favorite link lig that broke.

Try it, it works.

·
3,407 Posts
And I, also being a sick obsessive guy, am most appreciative for you sharing this!

·
Banned
32 Posts
Ive also been bending them, in a "U" like shape, so only the side touch the reeds--with mixed results. (I got one that became really "on-the-money", so far, but also created a few duds) Not sure if I'm on to anything or not.

Enjoy your obsessions!

·
3,407 Posts
Good move there - I like that about the FL ligs.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Hi Ez , ii "fixed"" my link ligature by using parts of the fl ligature,,, i used the complete screw and plate of the fl ligature,,,the screw of the fll ligature is bigger so i had to drill a bigger hole in the link ligature and make a new screw ...thing (sorry my technical english is bad?!) so it fits ...works great
Marc

1 - 9 of 9 Posts