Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, for the last 8 years I've been playing on the Otto Link Florida 7* and loved it. However it became more and more reed picky over these years so I decided to try something different. About a month ago I tried some mouthpieces in the store and went home with a Vandoren V16 T7S. Since I got it my Link sits in a drawer. Today I took it out to record a video comparison between these two pieces and to be honest I like them both. Let me know which one sounds better to you.

Here is the video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SO2vGVoZDJw&feature=youtu.be

Have a nice weekend.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,515 Posts
My speakers are not good enough to tell but your link might have taken a slight wack or just have a little bit of wear.

Link metal is very soft so it doesnt take much force to throw off the facing...you would be shocked at how little it takes. It might just need a little adjustment if you end up missing it.

Edit: The other thing that crosses my mind is that this is a reface. Are you keeping the table reasonably clean. It does not have to be polished but there isnt grunge built up is there?
Ive seen enough grunge and corrosion to significantly alter facing lengths and the ability to seal.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member.
2,021 Posts
They sound very different... but nothing I can't expect.

The Vandoren V16 "S" has straight sidewalls and this add focus.
The beak on the Vandoren is higher and the facing is shorter.
All this features lead to a brighter/tighter sounds.

... it's the opposite for the Florida.

But they are in the "sound family".
The Vandoren V16 "Medium" is closer to a Florida No Usa... and for that budget it's nothing but great!!!
Like the V16 "Small. :)

... then, we all different in terms playing style/breathing/embouchure: I can say Brian Powell's facings are "state of the art" but they require a medium hard reed... even if you are not into medium hard reeds.
Personally (but also not that personally at all)... D'Addario reeds may work better with Brian's facing.
I'll try to make the Florida "brighter" and more focused.

The Vandoren pieces are easier to play (and maybe to keep in tune if, like me, you are a lover of short rounded facing) with Vandoren products (among the Vandoren catalog... on a V16 T9 "M" I use a Green Java #3,5).

·
Registered
259 Posts
I do prefer the Florida. It got more body, a bit darker.

·
1,321 Posts
Both mouthpieces sound great in your recording and sound quite similar...I preferred your v16 clip over the link.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks you all for your response. I'll propably stick with the Vandoren for a while just to see how much I can get out of it. It's a little more focused and brighter than my Florida but still has plenty of body. I was able to get a pretty similar sound out of my Otto Link with a good reed but Vandoren simply does it easier. Still need some time to figure out which reeds works best with it but as for now I liked V16 2,5 best. It also works great with Daddario Jazz Select 3S, Rigotti Gold 3 and a Gonzalez RC 2,25 (a little too soft). Didn't like the Javas and Royals.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My speakers are not good enough to tell but your link might have taken a slight wack or just have a little bit of wear.

Link metal is very soft so it doesnt take much force to throw off the facing...you would be shocked at how little it takes. It might just need a little adjustment if you end up missing it.

Edit: The other thing that crosses my mind is that this is a reface. Are you keeping the table reasonably clean. It does not have to be polished but there isnt grunge built up is there?
Ive seen enough grunge and corrosion to significantly alter facing lengths and the ability to seal.
It was already refaced when I bought it eight years ago. A refacing job could be done even earlier. It still is the best Link I've ever played just not as responsive and reed friendly as it used to be or maybe it's just me - you never know.

·
13,515 Posts
Over time facing, especially at the tip can wear...It might be worth having looked at if you want to go back to it. A piece in proper adjustment should not be reed picky. It sounds like something has happened to it over time which would not be unusual. Nothing lasts for ever...like horns...eventually pieces need some attention.

·
Registered
98 Posts
That's exactly what I hear as well Pawel - the v16 is in the same 'family of sound' as your link, but it's both a shade brighter and has more focus. And unlike some high baffle pieces, there is a core sound and consistency throughout the range.
As a solo-play, the link has a little more body and warmth, but in a mix or with a backing track, I'm betting the V16 T7S shines even more. You sound excellent on both - thanks for posting!

·
Registered
151 Posts
You sound great on both pieces - personally I like the Vandoren better - it's brighter, but not in a brash way - just has a little more "sparkle"

·
Registered
70 Posts
Both are great. I play on a no USA 8 and have done for years.. I went through a long bad reed spell, and considered changing mouthpieces, although figured out it was just me changing, and as soon as I found reeds that worked for me, I changed and haven’t changed back! I was playing on Rico orange box.. yes, the cheap Rico student reeds... inconsistent, but brilliant long lasting reeds when you find a good one. It got to a point where I couldn’t find any good ones at all, and all felt unplayable! So I changed back to jazz selects but slightly harder, and definitely fell in love with the piece again. Jazz selects have a crap life span, But are generally good reeds.

·
1,321 Posts
I've always been a huge fan of the v16 small chambers and metal links. Before my v16 t77 i spent about 8 years on an Stm that Ed Zentera setup for me in the Florida spectrum. My Stm has a fatter sound and my v16 has more focus and flexibility. I'm currently on a Saxscape Live which has the fatness of my Zentera Stm combined with the focus and power of my v16 t77. Just to muddy the water... If you miss the fatness of your link but like the Guardala-like focus and versatility of the v16, the Saxscape Live has been working great for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts