Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Would appreciate everybody鈥檚 input on this mouthpiece. Slightly slimmer body then a slant signature I have. Do you think this is a Florida or a Babbit? Pleasant surprise in a horn I just purchased. First post here. Thanks for your opinion.

Registered
The box reads Florida so I鈥檇 guess Florida unless there鈥檚 anything that makes you feel different. The ones with the slimmer body and fit tighter on the cork are the good ones.
You could always ask the person you got it from. That would be the logical decision.

Registered
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the input. I read somewhere that some very early Babbits were sold in Florida boxes. Just wondered if anyone knew for sure.

Registered
There's 121 florida box and the 21 Florida box
It would be interesting to see if the beak has the steer drop junction

Registered
Discussion Starter #7
The original owner bought it 50 years ago from a music store. How would he know if it is a Florida or Babbitt piece?

Distinguished SOTW Member/Bass Sax Boss
I had one exactly like this. Straight signature, Florida box. I had purchased several Links a few years earlier at the factory during the slant signature era. I bought the straight sig new in the Florida box from a music store about 15 miles from the factory around 1976-1977. I tried it before I bought it and it was a GREAT mouthpiece.

Registered
Any chance you can post a few more pics for all to see, especially the side profile of the beak? There's always lot's of opinions on determining early babbitts, so the photos you post will be a helpful resource. Thanks

Registered
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome chart. It does have a steep body to beak transition. It also has a noticeably slightly slimmer body. I鈥檝e not seen too much discussion about that difference in late Fla / EB models.

Registered
I鈥檝e had 1 of these that also came in a Florida box, and another fatter body one that did as well. People generally call these Early Babbitts, but it鈥檚 open for debate..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
Would appreciate everybody鈥檚 input on this mouthpiece. Slightly slimmer body then a slant signature I have. Do you think this is a Florida or a Babbit? Pleasant surprise in a horn I just purchased. First post here. Thanks for your opinion.
How does it play btw??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 14 of 14 Posts