Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been doing a bit of interweb research trying to identify the characteristics of the early round chamber Otto Link sopranos with a small round chamber.
There is an interesting thread in which Horned Toad posted some pictures of older iterations of OLHR small chambers to some disagreement.
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?160193-WTB-Older-Otto-Link-HR-Soprano-EB/page2

There is also this thread that shows two easily identifiable Early Babbitt soprano pieces.
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?207410-Otto-Link-Soprano-Evolution
But I am interested in the small round chamber piece that came directly after these (at least I think that is the progression) such as the ones Horned Toad posted pictures of.
And I think this is also one here:
http://forum.saxontheweb.net/showth...OPRANO-mouthpiece-from-the-late-70s-early-80s

What I would like to know is what the identifying characteristics of such a piece are.
i.e.

--I gather they are slightly longer in the table than a modern piece, is that actually so?

--Is the drop off angle of the beak different? (in general is it so that OLHR mouthpieces of a specific era have a single design in regards beak-drop-off-angle? Or were they constantly making different ones? I know from the 80s the Tenor EBs don't have the steep angle, but I am wondering if earlier EBs sometimes have a more gradual angle?) I notice differences in this regard between Horned Toad's discoloured one and the one in the previous link for sale in the marketplace.

--Are there differences in the length of the shank with these EB/Not pieces? (Seems that way in the pieces I have looked at online at least compared to modern ones)

--How do they differ overall from 80s-90s pieces?

--I notice on some of these pieces the positioning of the Tone Edge stamp and the other markings is slightly different with some Tone Edges being right at the bottom line of the body and some a few millimetres closer towards the centre of the body. Is that a characteristic or just an inconsistency common to many eras as I personally suspect?

-- Baffle shape?

-- Milling lines?

--So, would it be correct to vaguely categorise post-slant OLHR soprano pieces as follows?:
Steve Lacy Ovoid
EB Square Chamber
EB/Not Early round chambers (late 70s-early 80s???)--->progressing to
80s-90s --->progressing to --->the current ones.

Now, I know there are no official designations, and I know the whole OL business is more or less evolving at any given point in history.
But it would be nice to know if anyone has anything they use to definitively differentiate these early small chambers from latter ones.

Also I welcome any anecdotal accounts of the way these things play. I recently bought what I believe is one, but I haven't been able to get my hands on it yet.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Also just noticed Greg Weir has a "Early Babbitt Style" soprano mouthpiece he makes that seems to sport a similar small round chamber.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,071 Posts
A friend of mine has one of these round chamber EB's- it definitely has a shorter body. Not sure about the other characteristics you mention.
It's a beautiful playing mouthpiece though. I wish I had one like it!!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts