Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I recently was gifted my grandfathers Otto Link Double Ring Super Tone Master NY mouthpiece. it's a 3* and I currently play on a Theo Wanne Metal Gia 2, 6* from looking at the link it doesn't look like there is a lot of metal to work with so I was wondering if anyone knew how big that mouthpiece was able to be opened up to. I love the sound of the piece and would be devastated if I damaged it.

Thank you!

·
Administrator
17,256 Posts
How far a piece can be opened really depends on the piece itself. If you would post some pictures of the tip area knowledgeable people can say more, but you could also ask the opinion of a skilled refacer. Different technics are available to open a piece, but it really depends on how much material is available at certain places of the mouthpiece.

You also might want to think about not 'destroying' a piece of history by letting it opened up. There are not too much of those old fully original small facing pieces available anymore. Selling yours as is might bring you money that you can use to buy one with a bigger tip (possibly already refaced).

I own an original 4* NY DR and mine has plenty of room to be opened, but I won't do that. It does play very well with a harder reed. Here are some pictures:
https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!ANrZ31OXmpLFuKs&id=DB1B9FCF95C4ED77!1423&cid=DB1B9FCF95C4ED77

1 - 2 of 2 Posts