Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a metal Otto Link Super Tone Master 7* for TENOR sax that I bought around the year 2000/2001. It has the U.S.A. stamp on the bottom of the shank. Nothing rare or epic. I cannot find a replacement ligature for sale online nor will OttoLink sell me a new "original" ligature. What is the deal with this? Has anyone gone through this? I have found plenty of replacement Alto Ligatures made by Otto Link but nothing for Tenor. Am I missing something?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know there are many options. I like the original though. I have wondered if they were the same ligature for the alto/tenor. Seems odd though doesn't it?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I just got a reply email from JJ Babbitt (Otto Link) and they said the ligature for the metal Otto Link Alto & Tenor is the same. One size fits both. You called it KeithL.

I hear about the NY model often. Do people like it better?

The NY models stopped being made in the 1950's right?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
12,876 Posts
There is a current NY model being made.

I could be mixing up the lig that will fit an STM and not a NY. The Ny is fatter but I guess Babbitt allows some variance so that one size fits all.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
Once you get the ligature, glue a piece of pad leather (or fabric) onto the plate. This will help keep it from skidding around when you adjust your mouthpiece. Also help keeping it from denting the reed too much.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
There is a current NY model being made.

I could be mixing up the lig that will fit an STM and not a NY. The Ny is fatter but I guess Babbitt allows some variance so that one size fits all.
Actually each ligature fits both mouthpieces but the NY Link fits a little tighter than the regular STM. I believe it is just a little bit larger in diameter if that makes sense. What's really strange is my Selmer 404 won't fit either Link. When I had a Link a few years back the 404 fit with no problem. Now this is not the same 404 but I think they're making the Links larger in diameter.

·
Registered
301 Posts
The pressure pad on mine just started falling off.
Really annoying.
Not sure if I want to buy another or maybe just switch to a Selmer Lig

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,076 Posts
I have never liked any of the STM ligs. As much as I dislike the Rovner types, I would use it over the Link.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
They are fifteen bucks at wwbw

Search otto link ligature

pretty positive the alto and tenor are the same.

Ny model is fatter though.
I have both the alto and tenor NY ligatures. Your statement is completely correct. The NY is slightly larger. I do believe that the standard tenor STM ligature is identical to the alto as well. My friend has the standard STM tenor piece, and his ligature is interchangeable with my alto piece. The NY lig is just a bit too big for the standard tenor and alto pieces.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,901 Posts
The pressure pad on mine just started falling off.
Really annoying.
Not sure if I want to buy another or maybe just switch to a Selmer Lig
I've had fantastic luck with the Rovner dark ligatures. IF you're experiencing an issue with "stuffiness", the problem usually lies with an uneven table.

It's been years since I've ordered one, but I think that you need a soprano Rovner to fit an STM tenor piece.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I've had fantastic luck with the Rovner dark ligatures. IF you're experiencing an issue with "stuffiness", the problem usually lies with an uneven table.

It's been years since I've ordered one, but I think that you need a soprano Rovner to fit an STM tenor piece.
I have the Rovner ligature that came with my Jody Jazz DV. I sold the DV when I became a Link convert. Anyway I don't know if it is a tenor ligature but it fits my STM no problem and I always thought it was a tenor ligature.

Tomorrow I'll see if it fits the NY STM, as you said the NY STM is a little larger and so is the ligature. I had a problem when I switched the STM and NY STM ligatures and thought the NY ligature was defective. Then I discovered that the NY ligature fits the NY STM perfectly but is a little loose on the regular STM.

The NY STM is also longer than the current STM but the window on the NY is smaller. Maybe this makes the tone chamber larger but I really don't know.

Now and then I pull out the NY STM and it really barks even though it only has half of the baffle as the regular STM so it works better with an easier reed. If the baffles were the same size I would have a difficult choice to make.

Incidentally I have no problem with the Link ligatures so I never use the Rovner.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
I have never used a link LIG, but my Francois Louie Ultimate for HR fits perfectly. Fits over the hump and stays in place.
I have a Selmer 404 ligature that won't fit the NY or the regular STM. I can get it on there but not enough room for the reed so I just fiddle with the Link ligatures which I've grown to love.

The trick is to put the Link mouthpiece on the sax neck first without the ligature. Then put the ligature and reed on. Much easier to adjust the mouthpiece on the cork without the ligature on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,235 Posts
The trick is to put the Link mouthpiece on the sax neck first without the ligature. Then put the ligature and reed on. Much easier to adjust the mouthpiece on the cork without the ligature on.
That's my preferred practice with ANY mouthpiece. I like my ligature just snug enough to hold the reed, and I fit my corks to be medium snug to the mouthpiece.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts